beet pulp

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Aug 5, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

...has become rather hard to come by here. should i work to get some, or not worry about it?? i currently feed free choice top grade alf. hay, oats with corn on the stand, adding a dash of BOSS to the thinner gals. i thought i did a bit better production with pulp but if its gonna be a serious trouble to round it up, maybe i'd be ok to just not bother? feed shops tell me they won't get it til sept.

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

My local feed stores can't get beet pulp until October..

Autumn

3. Tricia

Tricia New Member

My grain dealer let me know last week, too, that the distributor was running out. The mill that sells to the distributor apparently keeps anything at this point in the season for horse feed mixes.

4. Rose

Rose New Member

Couldn't get it in Texas. Haven't tried here in Missouri.

Non-essential for my girls. :D

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

we have 2 skids of it or more at our local Rural King (Angola Indiana) it's only $18.99 for 40 lbs. Mine are doing without bless their little hoofs. (souls)

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just purchased it $12 for 40 lb but yes your girls can do well without it. Vicki never uses it.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Still able to get it and it's $10.99/40#.
    I use beet pulp as a treat around here and I give it at shows to make the does drink and fill out hollow flanks...it's not a big part of my feed. I put out 5# distributed between 9 does in different feeders outside the barn. I don't think my production would be affected if I quit using it. I'd hate to be without it at a show, though.
    Kaye

8. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

It's available here for about $11. per 40 lbs.

I mix it half and half with alfalfa pellets, by volume, as the mainstay of their diet.

9. chewie

chewie New Member

hmm, it still looks like some use, some don't. i can get it for about $9 a bag for now, but its over an hour's drive to get it. they sure like it tho.! thanks for replies.