Beet Pulp Shreds to Pellets

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Karen Bailey, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I have been feeding beet pulp shreds in my grain mix for years with good results. My theory is that the beet pulp breaks the grain apart so it's not all in a clump so the rumen bacteria can more easily get to all of it to do their job on it. Also, the extra fiber causes the goat to chew more producing more natural sodium bicarb to keep the rumen buffered.

Today I discovered that my feed store can no longer get the shreds but only the pellets. I bought a bag to try but am not sure if I should use the same amount when mixing it into my feed. Has anyone else switched from one form of beet pulp to the other?

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

If you measure by weight it should be the same amount.

3. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Thanks, that makes sense. Do you think the results are the same with the pellets (ground up) as with the shreds(longer fiber)?

4. chewie

chewie New Member

i just found beet pulp meal--didn't realize it would be 'flour', and the girls aren't fond.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

good grief I hope they don't chg my shredded down here. I like it and don't like change wonder what filler they are using to bind it to make pellets.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

7. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Not much difference then, except loosing a little fiber when pelleted. Thanks Sondra.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

more moisture is abt the only thing

9. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Every time we got our beet pulp(shredded) there always some pellets in it. Right now we can't get any beet pulp both feed stores are out till end of september or so.
    Silvia

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If you're getting the same size beet pulp pellets as we get here, that stuff is to be soaked in water before feeding so it won't swell in a goat's throat. I've never found the shredded stuff here. I wish I could as it would make feeding it much easier. Kathie

11. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

The pellets I got are about the same size as the alfalfa pellets I use, except longer. They are really soft and can be broken easily, so I might whack them with a hammer or something before adding them to my feed mix. Thanks for the warning, I'd hate to have all my girls suddenly choking and gagging.

12. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I just discovered something! I was mixing feed, adding the beet pulp pellets, (oops that one's too big - break it up, and so is that one, and that one...), and realized that breaking up the pellets wasn't hard, but a little time consuming and I could be doing something more productive with my time. I suddenly thought of the antique corn grinder that has decorated our front porch for the last 15 years. When you run the pellets through they come out looking just like the beet pulp shreds I'm more used to using. So you can convert the pellets to shreds! Yay!

13. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

For really clean and nice beet pulp, you can always order it from Speedibeet. It's formulated especially for laminitic horses, but is supposed to be cleaner than the regular. My beet pulp here in Va needs to be rinsed and rinsed to get out all of the sand and to hopfully clear out at least some of the pesticide residue. It's a regular pain in the butt. It's from a company that ships all over, at a premium price too boot, but it's good to have an alternative. I love beet pulp, rinsed well of course, and my
    goats and horses are quite fond of it too. Hope it doesn't disappear!
    Anita