Beet pulp-negative information

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Aug 21, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I know there are those who feed beet pulp and those who don't. I like feeding beet pulp. I don't feed a whole lot and I feed it wet. I can hide supplements in it. I can encourage my picky eaters. I can add bulk and fluid to a diet.

BUT I have heard about the negatives and cannot find (via web search) any information (or mis-information).

I've heard it is bad because it's full of mold. I've heard it's bad because it's one of the crops that Round-up is used on (toxic?). I've heard it's bad because it can cause imbalances.

So what have you heard or read? Does anyone have any links with information about molds and or toxins found in beet pulp?

I'm trying to decide if I ought to keep on feeding it or ditch the beets!

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

That's strictly up to you. I personally have fed it for about 5 yrs. now, like what it does, only got one bag with mold (and that's because it sat at the feed store in the humidity for about 5 mo.) and I really don't give a rip what they put on the beets, because I figure in the processing-water- most of it is washed off/out. All we get is the left overs after drying. As for the molasses...you ever opened a bag of beet pulp that was wet with molasses? Not mine-it's dry. :lol
    Kaye

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The only thing I've ever heard about any toxins in beet pulp was a feed mill screw up and could have happened to any feed mix. A feed mill didn't clean their machine after processing cattle feed containing urea. A woman I know bought some beet pulp pellets and lost a few nice does. I don't think the feed mill will ever do that again. They paid out so much in compensation that the woman was able to pay off her mortgage.
    There are a couple of things I was told about feeding it. If you get it in pelleted form, it is necessary to soak it in water so it doesn't swell up and choke the goats. The other is that in some goats who are already very heavy milkers, it can cause them to milk so heavy they deplete their resources. Personally, I've fed the soaked pellets without any problems. Kathie

4. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

We have used it to put weight on one of our older mules. Considering horses have such a delicate stomach, I would think if it was going to cause problem you would see it in the for sure. Then again, Goats and horses have completely different systems.

5. I have fed beet pulp to the horses, cow, and goats for a few years. I have never gotten a bag with mold. I haven't had any problems with it and always fed it dry because it's such a hassle to soak it. I always used the shredded beet pulp also.

6. dq

dq New Member

They only bad thing that I have found that has any possible legit bases behind it is the oxalate content and how it can interfere with the absorption of calcium. however I have found no evidence that this actually is the case in a real world scenario and some showing that it is not a problem. Alot of the myths concerning beet pulp have been around for years in the horse world and most have been completly debunked with good science imo.

7. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I'm gald to hear that what I was hearing isn't cause for alarm. :eek:) I thought it strange that I couldn't find anything negative after a thorough web search (with the exception of horses getting "choke" from eating dry beet pulp). I will continue feeding it to the does and a few of my horsees then.