Been to the vet..now what do you think?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Warning: this is long :blush

Here’s the deal. I took my doe “Boo” who I’ve owned for two months to the vet today. She will be 9 years old in a week. I’ve noticed since I bought her that she has problems eating hay, and flings her grain around when she eats it. I swear her jaw is out of wack or something-her tongue hangs out sometimes.(note: when I asked her previous owner of 8yrs about this her response was that she thought she had a stroke at some point-I don’t think so but whatever) She acts really cold all the time, shaking worse than everyone else and has been losing weight. She does not chew her cud. She is dry and hopefully 6 weeks pregnant. I was giving her alfalfa pellets and some grain once a day and then eventually moved her into the pen with the youngsters so she was top dog. I still wasn’t happy with her condition so I started offering her all the pellets she would eat morning and night, holding the pail for her until she walked away. The best I could do without separating her completely.
    Wednesday I looked more closely at her mouth and one side was hard and raised right across where her molars-the difference is also visible when you look at her straight on. I started to think that she had an abcessed tooth or cheek, overgrown molars etc. Felt like she needed some attention and made the vet appointment. I also moved her into her own stall with a tub full of pellets, hay and heat lamp. She eats her grain with enthusiasm, pellets pretty good, picks at the hay. Still shivers some even under the lamp. Drinking good. She has definitely lost weight.

So Vet: He got a good look in her mouth and
    "does not see anything unusual", both sides look the same. He felt around where the lump is and said he didn’t feel anything, said that is did feel thicker but not an abcess. We ran blood to check organ function just in case their was something else going on, it was normal. So it was on the second check of her mouth that he noticed she has 3 or so front teeth that are super loose (duh! I should have noticed that) they easiliy move ¼” each way with the tap of a finger. He said from the looks periodontal disease also, her age.. So the theory is they are bothering her, she can’t pull in mouthfuls of hay etc. By the looks of it the teeth are going to fall out soon. He said if I wanted to hurry it along, wiggle them around daily. Oh, and he also put a skin scraping under the scope and found a louse! So good thing I got that co-ral powder-Geeze!

Okay, so I’m not totally convinced that there isn’t something going on with her molars after coming home and reading pg 51 in goat medicine “As a sequel to periodontal disease, an abscess may form around the root of a molar tooth….The infection progresses until bony distortion of the ventral ramus is noted.” Now I don’t know exactly what that means but that is what the side of her jaw feels like, bony. There is more there, if anyone would care to read it and help me translate. I think that would mean this has been going on for awhile.

So soft foods are in order for sure. Keeping her warm concerns me because it is so bitter cold and she does not have a belly full of hay. Blanket maybe? I’m wondering if I should just pull those loose teeth out with pliers, if it would make her more comfortable. She is CAE neg, recently wormed 2x, nice dark pink membranes, and got BOSE in Nov. I want to get her thru this pregnancy!

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Some here feed Senior Horse feed to their old goats. We fed it to our old horse til she died at 27. Senior feed has the roughage in with it, horses can eat almost all they want without foundering. It is easily chewed and easily digested. perhaps you could slowly switch her to that? Sorry she is out of whack.

3. Halo-M Nubians

I love the stuff for my horses...what about all that molasses?

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I would think if the doe is doing poorly on alfalfa and whole grains, then just go for it with the senior feed w/molasses and don't worry. She may do well with it.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also you can simply soak alfalfa pellets and beet pulp in very hot water, they love this. Try to soak the feed she is used to while you add senior horse feeds slowly.

I would have thought an antibiotic would have been in order for her teeth. Sounds as if he just felt around and didn't use a speculum to actually open her mouth and have a look see. Pulling the teeth and giving her banamine and antibiotic would certainly have been better than just nothing. At least with antibiotics if it is an abscess it will go down, and you can use pennicillin for this, since amoxicillin is given to people.

With the teeth too long they are likely scrubbing on her dental pad above, and if teeth don't line up and grind down naturally, they get hard points on them that he could have easily filed them down.

Yes figure out a very well fitting coat for her, mens Xlarge or XX large sweatshirts, cut off the sleeves, slip a couple of the over her head. Just like with us I start with a T shirt and then a sweat shirt. Good luck with her. Vicki

6. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I had a buck a couple of years ago, aged Nine that did this same thing, slinging food out of his mouth, losing weight, shivering..
    Took my buck to the vet, and he had already lost a tooth, vet pulled another abcessed tooth, and floated the rest of the teeth.. they grow in sharp points and then it is very uncomfortable for the animal to chew and eat.. thus they can't and lose weight.. My poor buck (I loved that boy) did not improve even after a few months, he just continued to get skinnier and skinnier.. so I finally put him down,, he was miserable becasue he wanted to chew on hay and could not.. I fixed him soft foods too, but he wanted to chew on hay and continued to try and would get so frustrated over the fact that he could not..I felt it best to put him down..
    Hopefully your doe will be alright thru her pregancy and get better than my buck did... Yep soft foods will put some weight back on, after she kids you will have to ask yourself if she is worth the extra time and care it takes to make special food for her to keep her alive. What teeth she has left will get worse. and if she has abcessed teeth, they need to be pulled, we did not use any antibiotics on my buck, wasn't necessary but you have a preganant doe that you need to keep healthy.. and yes get her a nice warm goat coat or two.. so you can wash it if it gets wet..
    Good luck and hope she has healthy babies for you... they loved cooked oatmeal too... and will gobble it down..
    Barbara

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

soaked beetpulp /and alfalfa pellets I have even heated in mirco and then ground up in blender added mor water and drenched when needed.

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I had a doe that had a loose front tooth .. I gave her a shot of banamine and then waited 30 mins or so took a pair of plyers and yanked it . She has done much better since.

Patty

9. Halo-M Nubians

Thanks for the advice. I am not a bothered by much but for some reason the thought of pulling those teeth makes me cringe! I guess it is the typical dread of all things dental! I am going to wiggle them and if they don't come out soon get more aggressive.

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have a boer doe that had a thorn in her gum which was removed by a vet that damaged some nerves and she has a weak left side of her face. Her bottom lip hangs down in that area and her tongue sometimes sticks out over there. She can eat and is a good healthy feisty 7 year old. I would put her on a round of pennicillin, remembering to give her some probios each day also. Hope she does better for you.

11. Halo-M Nubians

Some good news! She can eat grass hay! I opened a bale yesterday that was all grass, unusual since we bought 9 tons of very stemmy alfalfa. Anyway, took her a handfull and she chowed it right down. Its very soft and green and I filled her hay bag with it and she loved it. Unless I can find another one in the stack I may have to fork out feed store prices for a bale of grass hay now and then. If I feed it to her seperatly it would probably last over a month so not too bad. I was just glad to see her happily munching away and filling her tummy with something to warm her up. This morning she was cudding! Kind of feeling dumb that I didin't think of the grass hay idea earlier.