Batch ruined? Oil added late

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by DostThouHaveMilk, Nov 27, 2008.

1. I was soaping...way behind schedule....I had already done two 42 bar batches (4 different scents). I was finishing up with a 42 bar batch of OMH. I went through my routine, poured it into the molds, washed the pots and things, and was cleaning up the table when I noticed the Safflower Oil sitting in the container still. Crap!
    It was all measured out, ready to go and I just forgot it. So I poured my soap back into the pot, mixed the Safflower Oil in and blended the stuffing out of it. Then I poured it back in the mold.
    So is it non uesable? Or will it be okay. I know exactly what didn't go in and how much, it just got added late, after the other oils/fats and the honey and ground oatmeal. It never got to thick trace, so mixing it in was not a problem. With it having gone to thin trace already, does that mean the safflower oil would not saponify with the lye?

Thanks!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It should, you would have had excess lye with no oils to saponify with if you hadn't added it. I have never done that exactly, I am one of those anal, line up everything and do it all the same each time kind of people :) but I have added more oil at rebatch with no problems.

You'll just have to wait and see and of course come back and tell us how it went! Vicki

3. Thought I would update this.
    I cut this soap and cured it. My sister and I have used it a few times over the past couple of days and it appears to have turend out just fine.
    Whew!

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Good to know. I would have thought it'd be fine with your being able to mix it in. I don't know that I could take soap out of my mold and do that.

5. It was at thin trace...or not really since there wasn't enough oils...and it was very very messy. I did all that without gloves because I started pouring immediately after I realize what I had done. Boy did my hands burn after all of that!

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

vinegar to wash hands with and yes I have done this same thing and it worked also. Had to grab it out of the oven whip in the oil I had forgotten and then back into mold.