Basic chevre

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Kalne, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I have only tried making cheese once. My dad was here and he helped me. He was doing it the way his Italian mom did it. (They had a cow, not goats.) Anyway he kept telling me to squeeze all the liquid out which I did....frequently during the draining stage. In the end I had very dry, crumbly cheese.

This past summer a milk customer brought me some cheese his mom had made and it was soooo yummy! Nice and creamy. Not at all like mine was.

So....when you make basic chevre you just hang it to drain, right? And the consistency is similar to cream cheese? I'm thinking his idea of squeezing out the whey was more for a hard cheese? I WILL learn to make cheese this year. At least the easier types. LOL

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I have had best results hanging no more than a 2gal batch and gently turning the cheese after 3hrs. Also be very gentle with your curd, take care not to stir or over handle it and so it will have a smooth creamy texture.

Christy

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

We make lots of Chevre here. We do it in one gallon batches and then just leave it hang in a cool room for 24 hours. We do not squeeze it. It turns out creamy and wonderful tasting. Our friends, family and custmers love it.

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

24 hours??? That seems like an awful long time to hang chevre. Personally I would never go that long.

Sara

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

goatkid can probably get away with hanging for 24hrs because of the cool room. At room temp hang time is more like 6-12hrs.

Christy

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

What do you consider cool? We keep our house at 62-63 degrees and I don't hang chevre for 24 hours...

Sara

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

For cheese a cool room is usually 45-55F. I have seen a few soft cheese recipes that have no rennet call for a 24hr hang time. I tried one once. I put the curds into Chevre molds on a rack in the fridge for 24hrs. It was too tart for my taste.

Christy

8. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Thank you! I am going to order some fresh starter and give it another try.

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Thanks Christy, that's what I was thinking. I am no expert but I love the cultures you sent me!

Sara

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

do any of you ever use your cheese press on chevre??

11. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I haven't tried it. But I think you would get a crumbly cheese nice for salads and cooking. Of course it couldn't technically be called Chevre' if you pressed it :D

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh I am just thinking how to drain it now that I don't have handles on cubboards over my sink any more and if I would hang it on the faucet DH would run water on it :) So was thinking maybe put in the press but not press it really

13. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I don't have handles on any of my cupboards either and they all have those "hidden" hinges that are on the inside. So what I've done, is get some large strong rubber bands. When I gather the corners of my cheesecloth together, I don't tie, I just loop a rubberband around it, carry the the cheese with a container under it to catch the whey and hook that rubber band over the back of one of the hinges. This way, I can actually have it out of the way for other kitchen stuff.
    I have a bunch of cabinets in the kitchen to pick & choose from :) & can hang quite a bit of cheese. :biggrin

14. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

You can also hang cheese from a dowel set cross wise on a 5gal bucket.

Christy