Barn lime

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by nlhayesp, Aug 2, 2012.

1. nlhayesp

nlhayesp New Member

I have a simple question, but can't find the answer. I have used hydrated lime from TSC when cleaning the barn. They also sell a product called "barn lime" which is crushed limestone. What is the difference and what product works best at keeping the flies down?

2. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

I was under the impression that hydrated lime (sometimes called quick lime) is not safe. It's dolomitic lime (sometimes called barn lime or ag lime) that we use. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

3. swgoats

swgoats New Member

They are both safe. I have used both. The hydrated is much messier though since it is a fine powder. You don't want to get it wet and let it sit on your skin. Dry it doesn't hurt you. My goats have licked it and stuck their noses in it, it didn't hurt them. I prefer working with the barn lime TSC sells. I can't say I think either cuts down on flies. Maybe I don't use enough. Chickens seem to be the most helpful.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Hydrated or slaked lime, and urine...can burn udders and vulva. It's fine for most of the year, goats rarely dig into the soil of the barn until they are kidding....imagine birth fluids and hydrated lime in the barn dirt. Use barn lime.

5. fmg

fmg New Member

I always tell the people I want the lime for barns and they give me funny looks, then get a back of hydrated lime. Then I ask if that's what people use in barns, and they tell me yes....I don't think there is a barn lime here. We do have these little bead things Sweet PDZ I think it's called, for horse stalls.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

Sweet PDz is much more expensive that lime though..

7. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

Nancy, here the staff at places like Tractor Supply give me the same quizzical looks. They're mostly clueless- I learned not to call and ask if they have it, but just go in and find it myself. Dolomitic, not hydrated.

8. nlhayesp

nlhayesp New Member

Thanks for the all of the info. I have used both products, and am currently using Barn Lime because of the cost differences (roughly 1/3 - 1/2 the cost of hydrated lime) , but I didn't want my frugality to get in the way of doing the right thing. Barm lime is easier (not a fine powder, so doesn't get in my contacts). One time when I was buying the hydrated lime at TSC, the cashier asked me "so, do you have an outhouse that stinks?" I was taken aback and wasn't quite sure what she was inferring!

9. fmg

fmg New Member

The problem is that the stores here don't usually keep stuff like that on the shelf. Although at D&B I did see a bag of DE and one of hydrated lime. Still no barn lime. There's no such thing as a Tractor Supply here, but similar stores are around. i guess I will have to keep looking. The outhouse thing is weird. :really

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My god I am so old! Na, we lived out here in the woods without electricty for a year, living in a travel trailer when the kids were young 2, 4 and 8, and built our house out of pocket, took 3 years. No way was I going to empty the holding tank in the trailer (I had to bucket it) so other than late nights and emergencies, you used the outhouse. We had a window, a toliet seat and a regular toilet paper holder. After you go, you open this little bucket that had a lid on it and put a scoop of lime (during the winter we used our wood ashes) over your poop :)

And part of my story which is funny and not about the subject, I had a UTI, my doctor asked me what color my urine was, I had to tell him I had no idea because I used an outhouse....to say he had a shocked look on his face is an understatement!

11. happy vagabonds

happy vagabonds New Member

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/368973-shurtred_barnlime.html#.UBrmOLSe6So

this is what i buy from TSC.

the hydrated lime is either for lawn care for adjusting PH in soil or i have read that cattlemen use it sometimes in feed lots during the spring in front of feeding troughs (i think) because the cattle congregate there and urinate a lot and the hydrated lime works faster to dry up mud than ag lime.

i was trying to find the article i had read regarding this, but it was from several months ago when i was researching this for myself.

but yes, i have read that the hydrated lime is very caustic and not to be used in stalls.

12. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

I lived in a house with 4 kids (3, 4, 9 and 12) and an outhouse. We had a 2 seater and is set up quite high with steps up to the seat area. It was attached to the wood shed and had 3 windows that looked out into the horse pasture. It was common to have the horses poke their heads in during the summer months, and we even had a adolescant male moose poke his head in to say hi. We used the regular barn lime each time we used the outhouse, and we used wood ashes too! I think, Vicki, we are of the same age.

I get mine at TSC now. I buy the lime for horse stalls, it's coarser than the other stuff and not as dusty.

13. NPgoats

NPgoats New Member

ROFL this is funny!
    Ok I found using DE has helped the most in my barn along with fly strips that hang from the ceiling/rafters. Just don't get caught in them cause the sticky doesn't come off.....easily.
    Linda

14. fmg

fmg New Member

Haha, Vicki! You would think they'd see the color of your urine when you peed in the cup!

15. Greylady

Greylady New Member

16. Annie

Annie New Member

We've got an old (over 150 yr) bank barn, my goats are in the basement, which was concreted at some point. I use the hydrated lime on my stall floors whenever I clean them down to the concrete. I remove all bedding/manure, scrape the floor clean, let it dry GOOD. Then I use a scoop of the lime and a push broom to kinda brush it into the concrete, NEVER leaving any piles of the lime dust. Then the fresh straw/bedding. I do think using the lime also somehow helps when I come back to clean that stall the next time.

Yep, hydrated lime is good for outhouses, had quite a few Amish neighbors who used it :)

17. Holly Govero

Holly Govero New Member

Now you guys make me feel horrible. I am only 29 years old and we did have outhouse.. My great grandpa's farm house that I stay with him all the time and he made me to use the outhouse. I rememeber I was soo scared to go to the outside becuz of SNAKES been on my mind when I was lil bitty kid.. I asked him to please take me to my mom's to go pee. he said NOPE and walked with me to the outside at NIGHT TIME and he held the lantern outside of the outside thru the hole so I can SEE.. Never again but i sure do miss my memories with him and the outhouse. LOL..

18. NorthOf49

NorthOf49 New Member

I'm only 26 and I grew up with an outhouse. No running water or electricity. (I had a special upbringing... :D ) Somehow it's stuck with me how the doctor once told us that there was a study out that the longer the distance to the outhouse, the larger the bladder developed. So true! And I never took a light because no matter how scary the dark was, I was more afraid of the light drawing all the predators to me like a moth to a flame.

19. nlhayesp

nlhayesp New Member

I am enjoying how my question has taken a life of its own! While outhouses were not in my upbringing (city girl who always felt like I should have been born in another century; now living my dream in the country), camping was/is, as well as Girl Scouts. We would always do "primitive". We have a family anecdote of my great-grandfather who refused to use indoor plumbing, even when it was installed in his own home. "It isn't natural to do your business in the house." That said, I will continue with Barn Lime, as it is cheaper. Thanks!

20. swgoats

swgoats New Member

Lol, I had a friend who's grandma didn't have plumbing. She had a hand pump sink in the kitchen and an out house. I don't recall lime. That's pretty smart. She did keep an old stock pot in a closet that was used as a chamber pot, so if you were inside you didn't have to go out.