barn layout

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, May 3, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

(Mods feel free to move this if it shouldn't be in this forum... I wasn't sure)

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find pictures, so...
    Has anyone got pictures of the inside of their barn layout? My DH has mentioned in the last week that we should just scrap the old barn we have, pour a concrete slab :biggrin and build a new barn. I'm thinking an open span structure and then building the inside to fit my needs. Since we won't ever have more than about 10 goats (and that's thinking big, since I have 3 does right now), I won't need a LOT of space, but I want it organized well.

I kinda like how this guy has his set up
    http://www.buckmanshome.com/goatbarn.html

Where he has "work room" would be my milking room/feed storage, and of course the whole center asile and two areas marked "bedding" would be open to the girls unless I needed to separate one for kidding or illness. I would add one more hay feeder, though, in the second bedding area. I particularly like the "dog run" area in the middle with the garage door that could open up or close depending on the weather. I'd like your thoughts and pictures of what you're doing if you have them!
    Thanks,
    Kathy

2. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Kathy,

I really like his lay out, especially the dog run area that you mentioned. He really put a lot of work into his barn, and I am guessing it would have been easier to build a new one, than to repair the existing one. He did a great job. The only change I would make is to have the chickens somewhere else - more room for goats :biggrin

~Anne

3. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Hi, Kathy,

I wanted a barn that was not DARK, and was had an open feel. It is also multi-purpose for goats and horses. The only thing permanent in it is the tack room and we poured concrete with a drain in the middle for washing goats and any other thing we needed. We made everything so that is would come apart and could be moved or rearranged as needed. From the horse stalls to the kidding stalls to the goats loafing area.

You are welcome to come and take a look if you want to.

Leslie

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Wow, Leslie! How did you make it so movable? The farm we are trying to buy has a HUGE barn. But we were thinking years down the road we'd probably tear it down and build new. Maybe we should rethink that. It's set up for cows though so I don't know. Either way, it needs work. I love the idea of being able to rearrange things. We always seem to get things the way we think we want them only to find out it doesn't work so well. LOL

5. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Anne,
    Well, I already have chickens who live in the barn with the goats :) so they'll end up going there anyway - might as well have a space for them.

Leslie,
    I might just do that. I'd like to see your arrangement. I'm waiting on pins and needles for Cinnamon and Spice to kid, though, so it'll be after that :). The barn will be a "later this summer" project anyway, so I have some time. Thanks.

Kathy

6. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Kalne,

I had an old round pen that was all rusted. We sanded them down and used the 99 cent cans of spray paint and painted them to match the barn. (people thought they were new.) These just pen together, so we placed them where we wanted them, bunged strapped them to any wall they met. Then we zip-tied cattle panels to them to keep the goats in. (Doesn't keep the little kids in though and they enjoy the run of the barn until they outgrow the squares.)

My husband made us two kidding pens out of hog panels. He made a square tube frame that was taller than the panel and welded the panels to the frames. He made them so that each square goes together with a pin, so that they can be moved anytime. Even can take them to a show if needed. Some shows have pens like this.

For the horse part, the barn wall is the back and one side of the stalls. We did set posts for the front (which is permanent, but is by the wash rack area so doesn't affect anything. So, we bought 2 horse panels, one for the middle and the other side. We used 2 small horse gates in the front with boards to finish out the fronts. We nailed the brackets to the posts and back wall, so that the middle and one side panel un-pins. So it can be all open, or made into one big stall if needed. We do use these for the goats too. Only to keep kids in these, we have to prop something up along the bottom to keep them in.

Sorry for the long explaination! Hope this makes sense.

Kathy, just give me a call. Good luck on the kidding. I'm so glad we are done!

Leslie