Barn Floor

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by nitrors4, Oct 31, 2008.

1. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

So I have been searching around and seen different post saying to put lime and other stuff down in your barn, but all the post were targeted at one specific thing.

I on the other hand want to ask a more general question about my new barn. I have built up the entire barn with dirt from the front of my property about 1 foot above ground level to ensure things stay pretty dry.

Now my question is what all should I do to my floor to prepare it for my goats.

I have two goals. First goal is to cut down on dust as the dirt is creating tons of dust. Second goal is to provide the best flooring for a healthy herd.

What would be best? For goal one should I add sand on top of the dirt or maybe mix in some savings or????? For goal two should I add lime or ?????

Should I be doing other things to the floor????

Thanks,
    Troy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I read a good article abt putting gravel or rock in pens as helps with hooves and also keeps the floors dry. But of course have not tried this and don't know as it would be good in a barn. I think Vicki has a good set up in her barn as even in summer no smell etc.

3. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

I had my barn built last fall. It was placed on a high spot on the property. Then we filled it with gravel. I used the stuff that is used for driveways here, which is a 3/4 - and has smaller bits that compact down tight. The goats like it and don't seem to mind sleeping on it, but I put down straw over the top in the sleeping areas for a little more warmth. Of course, being the wasteful creatures goats are, they have plenty of hay spread all over by now. Mostly stems from alfalfa.

My barn floor stays dry, even in our rainy season. (40 inches of rain from Nov. through March/April) The urine soaks down through the gravel and I just fork out the straw/manure onto the compost pile. There isn't usually a problem with smell, but my barn is open on one side and has lots of air circulation. I have had no problems with foot scald/rot even though we have mud from November through April sometimes. Udders also stay cleaner with dry bedding.
    I don't think it has helped at all with hooves. Still have to trim every 3 - 4 weeks.

Since it has been a year, I will be adding a bit of gravel to some spots that have settled. But the floor in general is hard packed and not too bad to keep cleaned up. Now if someone would only invent a goat berry fork that scoops the berries out of the straw while leaving the straw.............

4. MeadowValleyFarm

MeadowValleyFarm New Member

We use lime everytime we clean the barn, just because over the years we've had cattle and pigs in the building we know house the goats. So we use it as a preventative, and we also put cornstalks or straw down, just because it's a cement floor.