Barberpole help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

My nubian doe, Jodi has a large amount of barberpole in her fecal. I just got back from being out of town, she's was goat sitted while I was gone. I told them about the worms before I left and we gave her ivermectin. That was like 10 days ago. I did a fecal as soon as I got her home because her poo was loose. And they are higher now than when I left. Her eyelids look worse too.

What should I do, give her cydectin? Is that what's in the quest horse wormer? We are going to run to the feed store to pick some up right now. I also happen to have some kind of goat wormer, not labeled, they are big yellow pills. Would these be better? And I have safeguard.

Being newer to goats, I've not had worm problems so I've not kept up with info on wormers as well.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ivermecting only hits on stage of larve and it's why wide spread resistance for Ivermectin happened, using it to worm for worms it really never was supposed to kill, at whaco dosages to boot :)

Yes you need to use the cattle pouron cydectin, 1cc per 22 pounds and since you haven't been paying attention...being new doesn't mean your goats don't have worms, it means that you just haven't lost any yet, and you will if you don't worm with Cydectin or Levamisole. Bite the bullet and get the Cydectin, use it, then use it again in 10 days and then again in 10 days to break the cycle of the adult blood sucking worms you don't see in fecals. Make sure after you worm everybody you keep them out of their barns and pastures for 12 hours, or they will simply poop out the eggs and larve into the enviornment for them to pick it up quickly again. Using a worm pen and worming like we do...before breeding, 100 days bred, day of kidding and dealing with your copper defficency and high iron amounts, you won't be having worm problems. Also make sure your kids are on cocci treatment, 3, 6, 8 and 12 weeks old, and continue every 3 weeks until the kids are 8 months and/or are eating enough of a meat goat pellet with cocci meds in it (usually means a 30 pound goat has to be eating 1 pound a day).

Have you picked up your buckling yet? vicki

3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I know it doesn't mean I don't have worms, but they have been very few. I have wormed here and there a couple times, keeping an eye on it. But there has been nothing at all major until now. I do fecals and will see like 1 or 2 eggs, except for Jodi here.

Can I not use the quest? Do they have the pour on not in such big containers? I had looked at it online and it was huge and expensive, I just have a few goats.

Yes, I picked up the buckling last night, he is doing great. He's beautiful. I planned to post about him but now I'm sidetracked. I got a couple pictures, boy he is long.

I did have one question about him. I noticed he kind of makes a grindy noise with his teeth? I can't really see back in there to see what his teeth look like in the back, fronts seemed normal. What do you think?

I actually slept in the barn with him last night. :blush2 I don't have any other little ones and I didn't want him to get cold, we had a cold snap. Also I hadn't thought of raccoons until someone posted about it and his pen was not raccoon proof, and I didn't have time to figure something else out for him. I have it fixed up for him tonight though, those roosters crow at like 3 am.

4. NubianSoaps.com

Grinding teeth is nearly always from pain. Make sure his milk is warm until you slowly get him used to colder milk if that is what you are feeding him. He was used to as much warm milk as he wanted 4 times a day still, although he can move to 3 with no problems as large as he is. Make sure it's grocery store milk if you aren't pasteurising your goats milk. Of course milk replacer will cause him an upset tummy. He is due wednesday for worming and also for 5 more days of cocci meds.

If you haven't read it yet, read the article From Birth to Kidding in goatkeeping101, even though you have a buckling it's pretty similar.

On the Quest, I don't use it but pretty sure Kaye has put up the dosages on goatkeeping 101. Vicki

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Aw, poor guy. He doesn't act like he is in pain, been bouncing around. But, Laura did say that the babies had some loose stool yesterday when I picked him up. She thought she might have overheated the milk. Last night he pooped and it was berries, with mucus. This morning he had some loose poo. I was out with him a while just now, he got his feet trimmed, but he didn't go while I was out there, his behind didn't look dirty though. He only did the tooth grinding once the whole time. Yes, I am warming the milk, putting the bottle in hot water until well warmed. I gave him a little probios last night when I got him home.

I will get him wormed tomorrow. What type of wormer should I use?

I taped Jodi and it says 105 lbs. So I gave her just over a cc of the quest going by whats in goatkeeping 101.

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Any reason running a fecal before worming wouldn't be a good idea? His eyes are pink.

7. LMonty

LMonty New Member

just to tos sin some info if it helps- yes, Ive been pasteurizing everything. did move them to three times a day a couple of days back. the soft stools just started yesterday morning. I gave probios to all three yesterday afternoon. started mine on sulmet last night. The night before it started I had pasteurized and it came to a simmer, which was my fault for getting distracted, so I dont know if that might have affected it. Looks like Dora was in heat yesterday, and shes stressed from weaning the buckling and its mostly her milk they are getting, with a little whole grocery store stuff when I'm low, maybe a quarter to 1/3 . . .but my best guess is its potentially cocci. Figure even if it is one of the other things its safer to treat for it then assume its something innocuous and damage the baby. Ashley, did you check his stool for eggs? I assume mine will also have whatever your guy does since they've been together all week.

8. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

No I sure haven't. I haven't caught him pooing since this morning. I will plan to do it tomorrow morning.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes there is because moving him with stress and all you need to worm and treat for cocci now.

11. NubianSoaps.com

And adult mama worms will suck his blood and kill him or ruin him way before they lay eggs to reproduce. Prevention in kids is key and down here sulmet isn't going to do anything, and you both have super worms and super cocci from my herd now. Corid. And I am simply not a fan of paste wormers, there is no way you can dose them correctly. Bite the bullet and buy the cattle pouron, share it with someone or keep it in the fridge and use it for the next 4 years.

Mucous in the poop out here is tapes. A kid full of tapes will grind his teeth in pain and they also can exhibit signs of entero. Vicki

12. LMonty

LMonty New Member

ok, so what would use use for these little guys if its tapes? Santa Ana isnt much bigger than a newt, and shes only 2 weeks old?

13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

So, should I use safeguard for him then? I haven't seen any actual tape segments.

14. NubianSoaps.com

Laura are you seeing mucosy poop in her? She is to young to have tapes even showing. Huge difference between 6 weeks and 2 weeks :) Ashley Valbazen is a better choice, but yes you can use Safeguard and the Cydectin at the same time. Run a fecal on him and see what you see. Without a chambered slide, seeing an egg or 3 is really pretty meaningless unless you can multiply the slide out to get numbers telling you how many eggs. Vicki

15. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Ok, I did a fecal just now. I didn't actually see any worm eggs, but tons of coccidia. Is it common to have so many? I mean like 20 in one view? Would this cause the mucus? I didn't see tapeworm eggs and haven't seen segments in his poo. But very thick mucus.

16. NubianSoaps.com

Of course, and like every post on this issue, and my health sheet, you always put on cocci meds and worm incoming stock. Period. The normal low levels all stock has that is taken care of with prevention meds and cleanliness (Laura saw the kid pens) those numbers multiply hugely as the kids or adult does are stressed.

You need to get a chambered slide, 20 on slide like you use could mean 20 eggs or 2000 eggs, you don't know. Vicki

Vicki

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you need to worm him for tapes you may or may not see any signs. you also need to treat for cocci if you see that many I treat regardless when bringing in or moving kids.as they tend to just flare up. Stress brings this on and moving is stress

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

oops Vicki said it all.

19. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

This buckling needs to be TREATED for coccidia. period. Use Corid (at the treatment levels given in Goats 101 for 5 days) or go to the vet's and get Albon to KILL the coccidia.
    Right now, I don't have the dose for Albon....Sondra, you got time to look it up???

Quit playing with him and get him treated. Too nice a buck kid to ruin.

Valbazen for the tapes...if that's what he's got...and unless you know what you're looking for in terms of tape "packets" then the Valbazen won't hurt him if he doesn't. 1cc/10#'s.
    Kaye

20. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Hey now, I just got him less than 48 hours ago. I'm making sure what to do before I do it. I'm getting him wormed today (which is what Vicki originally said he was scheduled for) and I'll have to get the corid, I don't have any on hand, I've never used it.