Bar of soap

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Bilrite Farms, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

We had a bar of soap out that was on a soap dish with a drain tray underneath it. After using it about 3 days deep cracks appeared in the soap and this morning the soap simply shattered apart. We were just using it as a hand washing bar near our sink. Any ideas what could have caused it? I really liked the scent too.

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Wet cracking is an esthetic soap making issue that can be caused by various things including, too much lye, poured too thick, cooled too fast, too high in tallow or coconut oil, high glycerin content, or too much liquid when rebatching.

Christy

3. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Thanks Christy. I actually have no idea where I got it. It was in my soap box and I thought - hey this smells good. I guess it goes into the soap sock.

Trisha

4. Happytailzfarm

Happytailzfarm New Member

Im a newbie when it comes to making soap and have a question, in the above post it was said it could have excess lye, how can that be if you use a soap caculator?? Is there a way to know if it has too much lye?
    Aletha

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Faulty scale usually Althea. Also really high hard butters. All lard bars will crack, I have one out in my barn. Also alot of cocoa butter...I know in the 100% cocoa butter testings on the dish the bars eventually cracked. Vicki