Banding Horns

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Nov 13, 2008.

1. I want to band Milo's horns now that fly and breeding season is over. I read the link in goat keeping 101. I have banded horns in the past but not successfully.
    I could never get the band to go down further then the black mark on the horn in the first picture on this link.
    http://www.greatgoats.com/articles/dehorning.html

Any tips on how to get the band it the right place?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I haven't banded horns myself, but when a friend did it, she filed a notch where she wanted the band to keep it in place. Banding isn't aways a permanent solution as the horns can grow back since the horn bud isn't destroyed. Kathie

3. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

We have a couple animals that were banded by others and also have banded a couple ourselves. We have had successes with banding horns on youngish animals but never had any luck banding scurs on adult bucks. We have used 2 people, a bander and a screwdriver to lever the band further down the horn. We also would add bands. Make sure they are current on vaccinations.

Trisha

4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I used an elastrator, it was still hard but it worked. Ya gotta be careful not to poke them in the eye!

5. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I had really good luck banding a grown doe, cut the fur down like shown in the photo and get that band as low on the horn base as you can get it (the key to a NO scur stub) ,you may take a small round file and notch around the horn to hold the band in place close to skull.

6. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

We like hornless goats.. period... And so, we have banded two does with the elastrator...... both were adoptees. One was a mature doe, a Boer cross, who had one LARGE horn starting to press into the side of her head. (She also knew EXACTLY how to use those horns as weapons against the other goats.) Banding her horns worked wonderfully! (although for a couple of weeks before each horn fell off, she was in obvious agonizing pain, which was tough to see. It was also very hard to do that to her, as she had been attacked by dogs in her short past before we had her, and has scars on her face from the attack, and a useless front leg, that was lacerated horribly..- we hated to put her through even MORE pain, but IF she was to be in our herd, she would have to endure it, and be hornless.. She did, and passed with flying colors.) She would not let us near her for a few weeks.. But, within a couple weeks of losing the horns, however, she was back to her old self...hogging all of the attention. :) She has now become our herd-queen! :)

Another, is a Nubian Boer cross, who we got at about 6 months of age, and the banding worked on one horn beautifully. She does have a small scur there, but it is not the deadly weapon that her horn was, and we are FINE with that.....it is soft and harmless...The other horn never came off, but continued to grow... though we continued to band it. (We filed a groove at the base, first- and repeatedly... I think the fact that her horns were still growing, and that they were extra sharp and narrow, was the problem. Now that it is November, and she is going to be three years old this spring...AND she is definately a keeper for a while, made our decision... That, AND, also... when I saw her actually get the point of that one horn into one of our doe kid's eye sockets and LIFT her into the air by it.......-Little Emmy-Lou was FINE, miraculously!...PHEW!
    Anyway...
    fly season is over, and we plan to use a wire saw to cut the horn off where the deep groove is from the repeated banding. If necessary, we will have the dehorner ready to stop any blood flow. That one horn is very deadly, and she knows how to use it on the kidlets.... Grrrr. If we do NOT take that horn off, she will be sold. As she is a beautiful doeling, we would rather take that one horn off, than sell her for meat. Good luck!

7. Milo is a buck that was disbudded by the vet but the disbudding didn't work. Out of a total of 1 nubian kid, 5 kinder kids, 4 pygmy kids, only one of those kids came back with scurs. Milo's looks just like horns, but they are scurs...His horns are probably about 3 inches long. We had planned on banding his horns this weekend but the weather is miserable and I dont want him in the girls barn so we'll just wait till next weekend and hopefully get the job done.

8. Chaty

Chaty New Member

When I band horns I file a groove and then applu 2 bands and duct tape over the bands. I check them alot and sometimes if the horns are really thick I use 3. It does work and sometimes 1 horn will come off and bleed alot but eventually it will stop, just looks bad. I have had to do some that didnt do well and I know what you mean by they know how to use them...Not good, so the horns come off 1 way or the other.

9. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I have never banded a Boer as even when they are disbudded , if you dont disbud early you need a larger tip as the Boer horns are broad and then you may get a botched messy scur that cant be fixed without surgery . For me.. if the Boer is older,the horns stay. I have a mixed herd and all my goats run together, our buck has a nice set of big long horns .
    My motto is ..if the goat is really mean and has horns or no-horns ,the goat is culled :)