bandaids on teats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by feistygoatwoman, Aug 1, 2008.

1. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

I went to a show today and notices that some of the does had bandaids covering the bottom of their teats. I was just wondering what this was for. I kind of thought maybe it was to keep germs out while they were in the pins and not being showed. Does anyone do this? I am going to start showing in the spring and was wondering if this was a good idea.

Thanks a bunch

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Probably to keep them from leaking from being over-uddered.

3. feistygoatwoman

ah, that makes sense too. Thanks!!

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I wouldn't say from being over uddered. We tape teats for several reasons and none are because our does are holding too much milk!

Keep germs out.

Prevent then from leaking milk while they lay down, etc.

Deter malicious exhibitors from milking them out while we are sleeping, etc. (This happened at a show a few years ago and now we always tape teats!)

So, there's your answer. Taping teats does not mean the does are over uddered.

Sara

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A doe with alot of milk in her is going to leak if she lays down, especially big mature heavy does. I do not want an open orfice at home let alone at a show!!! I tape teats. Not only do they wear tape before they go into the ring, but once the tape is off you do not lay down, you stand on your show chain...you then get milked out, and stand for another 10 mintues for the orifice to close and you get a touch of white glue applied to the tip.

When you go home you get down in the grass, and your feet are washed, you go back up on the milkstand to be milked out and teat dipped and sponged off with chlorhexideen scrub. Really late night you live in the quaranteen pen overnight until morning. I have brought home some real nasties from shows and I try to keep contact to a minimum at shows. Vicki

6. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Holy Crap!! Someone milked the does out while you were sleeping.

Ok so I didn't know there were other reasons to tape. Sorry for the one ended response. Over uddering is the most common reason down here especially in the fall. YOu will see folks come in on Friday and not touch there does until Sunday when the show is over, very sad.

Thanks for the enlightment of other reasons to tape teats. I have used the glue idea,Thank you Vicki for the info. I do also scrub feet and legs after each show I also spray the does down with Lysol before loading on the trailer to head back home, just being anal I guess but I do it nonetheless.

Yep at shows most folks think I am to over protective, I put up tarps, my bedding, I put out hand sanitizer, signs to not feed the does. Either I or someone else is there to watch the girls at all times.

Thanks for the enlightment,
    Autumn

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol With your Alpine doe doing so well...you need to pm "us" and find out what to watch for!!! There are some very crooked people out there!
    Do you REALLY think I enjoy sleeping in a hot barn with screaming goats when I can be in a hotel room?? NOT!!
    Kaye

8. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Like Vicki said we have a few heavy milkers and when they lay down they will leak. Usually it is in the morning if the judge is slow. We try to milk in the evening so they don't go much over 12 hours.

9. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

I hate to believe this, (not doubting you, Sara!), but we have heard stories of people "misplacing" someone else's goat at Nationals (found on the far side of the barns after the Alpine show was over), registration papers being removed so that if the goat wins it can't be official, CAE positive milk being given to a competitors goat (nice, eh?) and at a Boer goat show someone gave Valbazen to 4 or 5 bred does which then aborted at home, 2-3 days after the show.....

Sure makes Appraisals attractive! And also makes it hard for me to feel good about attending the Interstate Fair - we can't stay the whole day and night for 5 days - so taking chances. Lots of other folks with great herds do Interstate as well, so hoping that we will be okay.... And no one is allowed to sleep in the barns. They do have security guards, but they wouldn't know sabotage if they saw it - they could keep your goat from being stolen I suppose.

Now I'm nervous!

10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Hmmm, maybe ya'll should bring along the LGD's? lol Hard to believe people can be like that.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:sigh Best one I've heard in a while was soremouth vaccine sprayed on some goats. Yep, they broke out with soremouth on their bodies. It's just sad what some people will do to win at a show.
    Kaye

12. feistygoatwoman

Wow! I had to deal with this a lot when showing horses. People would put medal shavings in their feed, someone actually poked my friends horse's eye out. Here I thought I was going to be dealing with nicer people :( oh well, I'm ready for it. We always slept in the barn when showing horses, so we planned on staying with the goats. Thanks so much for the info about the bandaids on the teats. I thought that was why they were doing that, but I wanted to make sure.

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I've had experience with both horse and goat peope...would have to say that I prefer the goat people. Yes, you still have folks like the above but they are less common and in general everyone is nice and helpful. At least around here.