Baking Soda

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, May 19, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Had someone call me this weekend wanting to know about giving her goats Baking powder. She thought that baking powder and baking soda was interchangeable. It isn't. She had run out of baking soda and was about to pour a whole can of baking powder out for them. So make sure that you only put out baking soda for your goaties. ;)

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl She must've flunked home ec.?
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You know....other than the big pinch I put in the lambar once a day until the kids are weaned, I don't use baking soda on my goats...I used to buy it by the 50 pound bag. I also have never purchased or used C&D antitoxin, or goat nutradrench. Vicki

4. Cotton Eyed Does

I put it out about once a month while I am milking the goats and giving them grain. When I dry them off and go back to just giving them alfalfa pellets and hay I don't give it to them.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I used to put it out all the time now just every now and then or if someone acts a tad off.

6. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Well, now I don't feel so bad :). I was keeping it out all the time, but it just gets dirty or stepped in (I have it in a hanging bucket on the wall, and someone *always* ends up stepping or pooping in it. So, I dump out the dirty, and though I always mean to, I often forget to refill it for a few days. I remember it when I'm out there, but I never seem to remember the baking soda when I'm in the house to *take* it out there... I was beating myself up about this, thinking they *had* to have it all the time, and I was being a bad goat mom :). Now I won't feel so bad if it takes me a while to remember to refill it :).
    Kathy

7. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

I totally agree Kathy! If Vicki said she hardly ever uses it.....then I don't feel as bad ......I too keep it out there in a mineral feeder on the wall, but it often times may be a week old, and the big box I buy from the cleaning aisle at Walmart is of course, in the house to keep it dry and fresh! I do keep my minerals full though. ;)

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Chris has super cool containers she builds out of PVC to hold minerals and baking soda to keep it clean...think they are on her website also! Vicki

9. Rose

Rose New Member

After trying to keep it out and fresh and realizing only one goat likes it at all, I stopped putting it in the main goat area.

I keep a bag, open, on the floor in the milk house. The one doe who likes baking soda puts her head in the bag and gets a bit each time she comes in to be milked. :D

10. I don't know about the other breeds but, I do know our alpines like it and I have never seen any of the nubians take in any. But I don't push the soda unless they smell really grainy. Tammy

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We have baking soda out free choice year round. It needs to be replenished weekly. Our girls get limited amounts of grass hay (sometimes not at all, just alfalfa). Grass hay is supposed to have "natural baking soda" so perhaps that is why some folks who feed grass hay with alfalfa pellets don't need much.

All I know is that the girls like it and they are healthy, so that "ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here! :)

12. Cotton Eyed Does

That's probably true. I keep grass hay out all the time.