Bagging up

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Is there an approximate time before freshening that FF bag up? Or does it depend entirely on the individual? Either way, we're getting close! :biggrin

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just all depends some do some don't HAVE FUN:)

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Depends but usually mine start 4-6 weeks ahead. Older does will bag up overnight but the yearlings usually start way ahead. Not always though....just in general.

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Get your kidding stuff ready just in case but like Sondra said some go ahead of time. Some can bag up during and some even bag up after. Ugh. :lol Let us know how she kids...whenever that might be. Hope you have a due date. My FF did not. Ugh again. She kidded 10 days ago.

When you say bagging up, do you mean the udder is nice and tight or that she is growing one?

5. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I have a two week window for due date. That's how long she was in with the buck. As for bagging up, she's about the size of my two fists together. That's up from absolutely nothing 3 days ago. Her earliest due date is in 9 days. I have two of them preggers this year. This FF and a second freshener. As you can probably tell, it's my first time. :) So, yes, I'm probably jumping the gun, but what the heck! Got to be excited and worried about something, right?;)

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's more about the fullness of the udder, not how big it is. Usually a doe is really tight and shiney...a really good rule of thumb is when new folks call me to ask me if I think they should go ahead and milk their goat out before she kids because she is soo full even her teats are shiney, I know she will kid within 12 hours. Vicki

7. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

That should help nail kidding time down, thanks!

8. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

My two does are due within 4 days of each other, 20 and 24 days from now. Both have started a little udder - about the size you describe (two fists) but nothing else. Neither is a first freshener, though, but these are their first pregnancies that *I* have seen. So I'm watching and waiting for the "tight and shiny", too. :)