Bad Mommy, Huge Udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, May 7, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Holly just had a buckling about an hour ago. He is huge. He is about the same size as the week old buck here. It took him quite a while to stand up.

Holly is not being the greatest mom. It took her a long time to start licking him, he was almost dry by the time she started. She will not let him near her teats. I finally had to have my husband hold her while we let him gets a few sucks down. Now he is looking for something to eat and when he comes up to her she knocks him down.

How long should I give them to work this out? Should I go out there once in awhile and just make Holly let him eat?

It is such a shame, her udder is HUGE. My husband keeps saying we are gonna get a lot of milk from this one. Her teats and udder are also nice and soft. Her udder is easily twice the size of the doe that had twins last week. Why won't she be a good mommy?

Thanks,
    Tiffany

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I know when some of mine have a hard labor it takes them a while to bond with the baby. I would go out at least 4 or 5 times and let him nurse and she will probably take him soon I hope my doe finally did after a few days. Good Luck
    Kathy

3. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I also forgot to add that Holly will not drink. First I offered water with red Gatorade and she licked it, but did not really drink. So then I tried regular water. Maybe she doesn't like red Gatorade. Nope, she won't drink regular water either.

My other doe drank about 2 gallons after she freshened. Should I be worried?

Tiffany

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Watch her close she needs that water why not molasses in it??
    I would milk her out so she isn't engorged then maybe she will let him nurse.

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

What do I do if she decides to never drink? I don't have molasses. Tried koolaid flavor, Gatorade, and sugar water. I know a 35ml syringe will not hydrate her :D I have lactated ringer, but don't know how to start an IV. What do I do? :help

BTW, I milked her and she seems a little more receptive to letting the buckling at least try to nurse. I can't believe how much milk she has compared to my other doe with udder issues.

Thanks,
    Tiffany

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Would guess that she'll take the buckling if her udder isn't engorged and hurting. give the lactated ringer sq not IV If she doesn't drink by tomarrow have you taken her temp?
    Might try giving her a big lick of salt so she gets thirsty.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you just make a ball of the sq liquid and let it soak in if real fast she is dehydrated and give more, if real slow then I wait and see. NOW that is the dummy verison of how too :)

8. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thank you Sondra :biggrin

Her temp is 103.5 which is not too far from her normal.

Last I looked the buckling was nursing :whew but she was not drinking. I will check again in a little bit.

Tiffany

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

put a glob of salt in her mouth.

10. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Do you have any Nutri-drench? If so I would give her a few squirts. The water, is it the same that she normally gets? Sometimes they are funny about the taste. Mine only like warm molasses water after kidding. But, won't touch it if it cools....picky girls.

Good luck and yes, I always check every few hours the first 12 - 24 hours just to make sure all is well.

Paula

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Mine love warm molasses water after kidding too. If you have some Nurti Drench add that to the water and see if she will drink it as it has some molasses in it... or if you have some maple syrup sometimes they will take that as it has worked for my when I was out of molasses. Yep the sq seems hard to do but have done it many times for the goats. Hydrated 1 with 3 shots of ringers before before she started drinking. Mine seem tolike the orange koolaid better than the red. Good Luck...
    Kathy

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

There is something very very wrong for a doe not to drink water....when she is thirsty :) I am constantly having to change out show buckets my girls are really picky about their water, algea they don't mind but anything else in their bucket and they hate it. Also being used to barrells they don't drink as much as I would like from small buckets. Vicki

13. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Her water was tipped over this morning so I don't know how much, if anything, she drank last night. I have tried every concoction I can think of. You should have seen all of the different water containers. I finally lugged the big waterer from the main pen in to her and my son saw her take a drink of it. So I know she got something, but definitely not as much as I'd like her to be drinking. She is eating and acting fine if not still a little confused about this new creature following her everywhere.

Tiffany

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Is she letting him nurse??

15. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Yes, she is letting him nurse. Of course he can't be a good boy and drink from both sides. He picked a favorite.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

milk her out or tape her up.

17. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I'm milking her out, but I did see him nurse a little off the other one today so maybe it is not so bad.

She finally drank a substantial amount last night. Thank goodness.

Thanks for everyones help,

Tiffany

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah that is good