Bad first kidding of the year..confused..need help **Updated pg 2**

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 4, 2008.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Re: Bad first kidding of the year..confused..need help **2 new questions added!!**

I had one of my best does do this last year One buck kid (4-h whether) and 3 mummified kids. she milked less than normal all year got fat, and is due to kid on the 2nd or so of March.. I am so anxious. I spent the whole week of 4-h kicking myself looking at her whether thinking Man what a nice kid! So this year is a repeat breeding trying again for a Doe out of this girl and a promice to go ahead and keep a buck IF it's as nice as her last two the 2006 and 2007 buck kids have been. hopefully she'll spit out twin does with ease. : )

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Re: Bad first kidding of the year..confused..need help **2 new questions added!!**

I keep thinking about the sensation of reaching in and grabbing chicken bones....YUCK! NASTY!

Sorry about the kids...but it made for interesting reading, that's for sure.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

My first thought Diane was HOW DID SHE GET STICKS IN THERE????

Update -

she is eating & drinking... but not much....
    we have her isolated so she can have her food near her
    she is standing still
    temp dropped last night to 101.2, but was back up this AM to 101.8... then 102.2
    swelling is down on her vulva
    mostly massaging her udder and only milking a touch...
    still doing oral calcium & sub q pen G
    discharge seems normal

4. Feral Nature

I sure hope she gets better soon. I have had a couple does with very swollen bottoms like that but only when intense manipulation was needed to remove a dead or hung up kid. As long as it is just swelling and not torn vulva or prolapse, it was fie. Just a swollen bottom can really look bad though before it goes down.

5. Feral Nature

that really cracked me up :yeahthat

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

OH MY ! OUCH :eek I hope your doe gets better !! I am still wondering about those chicken bone things :/

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

temp up to 102.6

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That sounds better is she eating ok?

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Banamine. The most overlooked thing to do on our goats. She is having pains, especially at milking. So go out about 20 minutes before milking and give her a 1/2 dose of banamine...1/2cc per 100 pounds so you can saftely give her the other dose at the next milking. By the time milking chores start whe will have the edge off the pain, she can more easily get up and down off the milkstand and she may even want to eat. Add B vitamins also if you have them.

If she goes up anymore with cold temps out and her pen mates aren't up there, start the pennicillin every 12 hours. Vicki

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks Vickie... we'll do all that

she dropped back to 102.2 at the 9PM milking... it was WARM here yesterday... my dh even turned the ac on last night....

she does not like being seperated so this AM after milking we take down the partition. She started fussing about it yesterday noon and was hollaring at us by last night...

she is eating & drinking... just not much...

will do the banamine & b vitamins and have dd check temp on another doe... I had wondered about banamine... just had not wanted to do it when her temp was low...

I had dd milk her halfway out last night and got 2 1/2lbs... until now it has been milk her a little, but mostly massage her udder...

Sat AM I was sure she was dying... as of last night I think she's gonna be ok....

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK temps this AM....

Ginger (sick goat) was 101.7 this AM (she is kinda med colored)
    Butterscotch was 103.3 (cream colored)

----------------------------

this afternoon....

Ginger (sick goat) was 101.7 this AM (she is kinda med colored)
    Butterscotch was 103.5 (cream colored)

Ginger was out in the yard when dd went down, but came to her hollaring when she saw her... :lol

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sounds good!!

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Oh and the stinker broke 2 of the 4 locks on the partition last night! So much for a weak/sick goat

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You can expect her temp to be a little lower with the banamine. Sounds like she is tired of being by herself! A very good sign! Vicki