Backwards breeding...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by shawhee, Aug 30, 2008.

1. shawhee

shawhee Member

Ok my buck was in adjacent pen to my does, and one of my does was just loving this young man through the fence. Careening around him. So after about 10 mins of love through the fence I decided to put her in with him. They loved a little, then tried to head butt, I said ah no, I put him on a lead. I go to take him out and she starts blubbering at him. Ok so we go back in, a little rubbing and loving he goes after her, and she turns around and starts mounting him......Ugh. :sigh. I know horses, I dont know goats, and so far it has been hard for me to tell who is in and not in. I know I will learn in time - I just thought this was sort of :/funny.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

An aggressive doe or an older doe with an unexperienced buck will do this. If you had left her in there...he would have taken care of her problem.

Some heats here are so strong that some of my older does will mount the buck. But, they seem to work it out and the doe kids.
    Kaye

3. shawhee

shawhee Member

Ok so I should not worry much - but he is a young one and she is 4 or 5, so I did not want him to have a bad experience and get beat up on by a doe. I guess I will just keep checking them and seeing who is interested.

4. coso

coso Guest

Unless she is just beating the crap out of him I would leave him in. If she is beating him too much he might develop a complex and not want to breed. But if she is in good standing heat like Kaye said they will work it out.