Baby with probable urinary infection

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatershubby, Oct 16, 2008.

1. goatershubby

goatershubby Guest

We have an 11 day old doeling who just started having difficulty urinating, only doing about half a teaspoon at a time. She is a little lethargic, not eating well, and has a temp of 104.3. Her abdomen seems a little tight and the area around her navel is possibly red and swollen, it too seems tight.

A few days back I noticed that the pointy area on her vulva (what is that called?) looked very red, but later it was okay. The next day, goater noticed an opaque white discharge, but again only the one time.

At birth, both navel and feet were dipped and she received 400iu Vit E and 1/2 cc of BoSe.

We are thinking it is a urinary infection, but we are open to other suggestions. We've never had to give antibiotics to one so young. Any suggestions?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's likely navel ill, with the infection it's why she is dehydrated and only peeing a very little.

Naxcel is the drug of choice, banamine for the fever but also the inflammation.

If any of her joints are involved, having trouble getting up or down, fever gets higher it's vet visit time and a course of IV antibiotics. IF she refuses to drink her bottles, and keep all drugs out of her tummy, than subq lactated ringers and keep her hydrated. If you check this infection quickly with Naxcel the only thing she will die from is dehydration.

Welcome to summer/fall kids in the south. We simply can't raise them in pens frequented by older stock, they can't kid into pens with older stock, no amount of iodine is going to kill bacteria that is already on the umbilical cord. If you miss kiddings and the kids umbilical cords hit the dirt, put them on antibotics we used to use a one shot course of Tylan 50 1cc subq. on all our summer and fall kids when we dairied. vicki

3. goatershubby

goatershubby Guest

Thanks Vicki! You're right, this was the one birth out of three that we were not there to catch the babies as they were born!

The only thing I found in goatkeeping 101 about navel ill was the recommendation that you do a full 10 day antibiotic regimen, but it was not talking about Naxel. How long would you use the Naxel and at what dosage? 1cc per 50-100 lbs is a pretty broad range when you are using it on a less than 10 lb goat.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I used 1/8cc for 6 days if I remember correctly of the naxcel and 1/16 th for the banamine I think on a newborn MM but get Vicki or Kayes imput.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oh yeah I did forget that the Carlson's had really good results with another drug.

I use Naxcel at 1cc per 50 pounds twice a day for 2 days (also splitting the banamine in half to give it at the same time) and then 1cc per 50 pounds for 3 more days. I would continue longer if the need arose but it hasn't.

If the drug information is in goatkeeping 101 and it's about the Carlson's kids with joint ill than it certainly is the way to go if the antibiotic is cheaper than Naxcel. Vicki

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

It was Baytril that we used but I am not too sure that that is a cheaper option! And tho we used the dose that the vet recommended I am not sure it is ideal...it had us dosing once every 72 hrs I think?