Baby stepped on *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hallelujahdairy, Mar 12, 2008.

1. hallelujahdairy

hallelujahdairy Guest

Have a little 3lb doeling that was apparently stepped on by mom last night right after birth. I missed the birth by 10 mins and noticed when we got her in that her tummy was distended, like she just ate. She drinks fine 3oz at a feeding, but no strength in her back end to stand on her own. She peed last night but nothing this morning. She is alert and active. I have felt some broken ribs about 3 towards her head. Gave her a little banamine and some bose last night. Any suggestions? I have not the heart to put her down. So just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks
    Lori

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Baby stepped on

Oh that is so sad gosh I would say with broken ribs and that new of an infant, also not moving the back end there may be more injury and internal also. I don't have any suggestions except watch and hope Sorry. extra Vit E may help with leg movements.

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I would think this is a wait and see situation. Hopefully she's not too bad broken ribs can heal.

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Just a thought...maybe a little dex might help if there is any swelling? with a dab of banamine///just thinking here...

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If the spinal cord isn't severed then Dex will help in taking down the swelling around the damanged area. Low end dose is 1cc/100#..or 1/10th per 10#. I'd give her 1/10th of a cc twice a day. You do realize that if the cord is crushed...then prognosis is very poor. Too much damage for much hope.

With the belly issues...I'd have to wonder about internal organ damange.
    Sorry,
    Kaye

6. hallelujahdairy

hallelujahdairy Guest

The little doeling died yesterday at 7am in my arms. :sniffle Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.

[​IMG]

This one shows the swelling in her belly. She was still so sweet.
    [​IMG]

7. Melissa

Melissa New Member

too bad. yea, with her belly that big I wonder if something was ruptured. was she pooping/peeing? if so, it might have been blood bleeding in her belly (hemorrhaging). I always find it harder to lose them after a few days because I tend to "bond". hopfully the pain and sorrow you're feeling will ease in the next couple of days. so sorry.

-Melissa

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

So Sorry that happened. :-(

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

My heart aches for you. She was a beautiful little girl.

-Kim

10. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:nooo :sniffle :down I am soooo sorry you lost her... but at least you had her for a while...so sorry again for your loss...

11. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I am so sorry. What a sweet little one...

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I'm Sorry Lori, what a pretty little doeling she was.

13. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm sorry you lost the baby. She was a pretty girl. Kathie

14. KUrby

KUrby Guest

Lori, I am soooo very sorry for your loss. :down :down :sniffle

k

15. hallelujahdairy

hallelujahdairy Guest

Thanks everyone....her sister is doing well so that helps.

Lori

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sorry that happened, alot of times i'ts a simple accident, other times we have had does paw at their kids to kill them...even in the dairy they went to auction.

And a side note, maybe someone who has time to look it up, because some of what I know is vet stuff :) But Dex isn't used with broken bones, it can make them not mend. vicki

17. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Steroids suppress the immune system and healing response.

Sorry you lost the little one, sometimes no matter how careful you are things happen.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH darn sorry she didn't make it but do imagin there was quite a bit of internal injury.

19. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

I am so sorry for your loss :sniffle she was so pretty.

Rebecca