Baby poo question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Oregonian Chick, May 22, 2008.

1. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

So I have the twins born yesterday. Both today started with some runs. Hunchy and not overly active. Fine as of 12:30pm but after we got home (went to the movies) at around 4pm I noticed the buckling being hunchy and he had the runs. The doeling had been pulled and is in another pen with bottle babies at this time. She was pulled right before we left for the movies. She seemed fine as did her brother. Both had their colostrum and where spunky up to this point. Mom seems to be doing fine also. All the other kids in the pen with them are fine and dandy. Nothing out of wack there.

Their only symptoms that I can see is the runny poo and hunchy/lethargic attitude. They have passed the menicum or what ever that black tar stuff is called. (I am so tired right now) I haven't checked for a temp on them yet. No signs to me of floppy kid as this what I first though of. I am putting baking soda in the doeling's bottle just in case along with some probios. I am just at a loss of what could have caused this? The buckling is eating as I have seen him...the doeling hasn't eaten much since she got pulled but that was to be expected. Any ideas or help on this? I am just to danged tired right now to want to worry or even think about this. I have to be up at 5am this morning for work (switched my stinking schedule around on me) so I am not going to get much sleep as it is. Help me and my tired brain!

Justine

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

?? How much are you feeding her? Also sometimes if they eat too much they can get the runs. Do get a temp on them soon it will help figuring out what may be wrong. If the poop is yellow or gold color it should get better soon. I hope...maybe too much milk is what is wrong. Tehy tend to be little piggys.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

At this early stage all I can think of is ecoli or too much milk babies don't usually have diarreah at birth like this. What abt navel ill did you use iodine ?

4. Oregonian Chick

No I didn't do iodine....bad me. I completely forgot to do it and by the time I did remember it was to late to make a difference. Kathy the buckling is on mom and the doeling got pulled. So one is being dam raised and the other is on the bottle. The poop is normal colored though so thats something.

Oh my mom said he doesn't seem to have runny poop anymore! Yay! (I JUST got home from work so I have yet to check on him but YAY!). I am thinking they drank to much milk....I thought also about navel ill Sondra but they didn't seem to have all the symptoms for it. Just the runny poop.

Justine

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

keep watching for navel ill as sometimes you just don't see any swelling around the navel ask me how I know. Naxel or something strong is in order if they get it.

6. Oregonian Chick

Okay now I have some more kids with this. It seems to hit them all they day after they are born and seems to last for a day then it is gone. These other kids that have it are on moms and then one is on bottle. All had their navels dipped at birth. Only thing I can figure is they got to much colostrum or something. Or it is really rich.

Justine