Baby Monitors

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Pairaka, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

I'm looking to get a baby monitor to put into our kidding shed before my does start to kid in March. The kidding shed faces such that I can look into it from the house, but having a monitor would be nice. I know that some people have mentioned having them, but I've started looking at them and boy howdy they've gone up in the years since I've actually needed them for a baby.

Anyone have any opinions on what brand/ style to use/get? Yes, I know that wireless cameras are probably the best thing, but we don't have the funds to get that right now. I just want something so I can hear what's going on and go take a look out the window with the binoculars (playing "Spy on the Goat" as my kids call it) and see if the doe's actions warrant a visit.

Thanks,

Wendy

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If your electricity is on the same circuit in your barn as it is in your house, then I reccommend a wireless intercom rather than a baby monitor. Mine has been in use for several years in all types of weather conditions - 25 below or 100 above. I had both but now only use the intercom. One is plugged in the barn and the other in the house. They also have a 'lock' feature that enables it to stay on in the barn so you can hear everything that goes on while you are in the house. Or in my case, if I see a goat misbehaving on one of the barn cameras, I holler at them from inside the house. They know I'm always watching. :Lil

You can get an intercom systems for about $60.00 at most electronic stores.

If you don't have electricity in your barn then you will have to go with a baby monitor. Sorry, I can't help with a brand recommendation.

Sara

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I have a "Safety 1" wireless baby monitor and I love it! I think my DH got it off of Ebay for $10. It has two settings and I have to keep it on 'low' or I hear static. Even on low, with the volume low, I hear humming, coughing, the babies when they wake in the middle of the night and jump on things and of course, the birds in the morning.. I love it! My DH on the other hand say's it's like he's sleeping down at the barn. :rofl
    The only drawback at the moment, is I have 2 rescue hens and a rescue rooster, and they stay down at the barn, so when he crows in the middle of the night.. well, it wakes everyone up!! :laughcry

4. KUrby

KUrby New Member

I got a used baby monitor at a resale shop for 9.00. It's like the walkie talkie type. I hope it works well for me as this will be my first kidding!
    Karen

5. goatsareus

goatsareus New Member

we have a Radio Shack baby monitor. Had it for probably 15 years. It is now on 24/7, so interesting to hear what goes on in the barn. We get very little static on our monitor. Both monitor and speaker plugs in to an electrical outlet.

Beth Zaring
    Wellston, Ohio

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Sara , do your goats really mind you that well, even when you talkin to them through a speaker ?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Whim when your wife yells at you...... :)

8. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Man, baby monitors have changed since I needed them.

Found a reasonably priced one that I just ordered. I'm just hoping it will work like it's supposed to.

-- Wendy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.