Baby house goat injured

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Was finishing up dinner tonight and all of a sudden the baby boer doeling went over the baby gate that was in the doorway. I think she might have got her leg hung on the part that swings over and locks it into position. As soon as she did it she got up and will not put any weight on her back left leg. DH and I both felt of it and we cannot feel anything broken, but she is definitely hurting. Was crying out a few times and now she has gone into her crate all by herself for the night and doesn't want to come out. I gave her 1/4 cc of banamine IM. Any other ideas?

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Bet she sprained it and its really sore and she is at a loss as she hasnt done this before...I bet she will be back to normal in a few days...

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

As long as you are sure it isn't broken I don't do anything. The body will swell the area to make it's own cast, she will be fine. Goatlings, children, grandkids...it's all the same :) Vicki

4. Cotton Eyed Does

It seems to be on her left hind foot the area right between her hoof and her dew claw, a little joint right in there. It is swollen and is very painful. I can't tell if it is broken or not. I don't think so, but don't really know. She will not put any weight on it at all and lays in her crate all the time.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ah poor baby you might try some cold water or ice packs for the swelling there. hope she is better in a few days.

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Me to. Poor little thing. I feel so awful. I was trying to finish up supper without her under my feet. I knew she was wanting in there with me. I should have just opened the gate and let her in. I used a toilette paper roll and some vet wrap. Left the toilette paper roll sticking down further than her foot so she can now use it to balance with, without having to put any weight directly on her foot.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

So is she now trying to walk a little?

8. Cotton Eyed Does

She is holding it up. She isn't walking on it, but if she almost tips over she will use it a little to help balance herself, but she can't put any weight on it.