Baby Goats Losing Hair

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by H Diamond Farms, Mar 20, 2014.

1. H Diamond Farms

H Diamond Farms New Member

I'm racking and brain and not coming up with much. I have two baby goats (both does) that are losing hair. The one started with the back of her legs and behind her "armpit" The rest of the coat is shaggy looking. She's a bottle baby. The other doe is being dam raised, losing hair also. It's not just "spots",if they rub on you or you pet them you get a handful of hair. Only these 2 out of 20 kids and 9 does. No one else is showing any signs. Otherwise these kids are acting/eating fine. Any thoughts? I visibly can't see any bugs, but I know that you can't always see them. Copper and Selenium also come to mind, but why just these two? I'm confused.\

ETA, they are roughly a month old, and got a dose of Baycox around three weeks

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. bg13

bg13 New Member

How does skin looks like? Actually, there is a bug, once it gets on the animal, it will take some time. Symtoms - animal is active, appetite is good, no visible problems, expt of loosing hair. Bold place's skin in the beginning no obviouse problems, later on - starts to peel.
    If what you have is this, than other goats will have the same, it's just a time question.
    Another - how is the temperature? Can it be too hot?
    So, can you check the skin?

3. H Diamond Farms

Skin is fine, not scaly or dry, not peeling, it's pink and elastic.
    It's been anywhere from 20's at the lowest at night to one day up to mid 70's, so not too hot out.

4. H Diamond Farms

Well, I think I found the culprit. I really examined the bottle baby and found several itty bitty little lice on her. So... hopefully it's nothing that a round of ivomec can't clear. Will just does everybody, clean out the bedding and hope that works :)

5. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Sounds like a plan!

6. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member