baby goat poo

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Mar 2, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

Not pelleets until they get hay or grass, right? So what do scours look like?
    I's sure I seem dense, but I've never bottle-raised anything!
    Oh and can i use some kind of diaper for the house-goat? She's peeing and pooping everywhere. and doesn't like the linoluem on her feet :sigh
    Susie

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes diapers are a must if running loose in the house. or contain her someway. I put little shirts and pin pullups to them so they stay on.
    newborns first have black or dark muconium(sp?) then yellow and pasty then then start to develope tiny strung together berries still yellow and then turns to normal dark berries. and no they will go thru these stages even on a bottle. Scours is runny diarreah stuff. overfeeding or changes can cause scours.

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Ditto on what Sondra said. My day old kids will have clumped poop, but if you look close, you will see that it is trying to form pellets in the clump.
    As a rule of thumb...I look at my baby's butts any time I'm around them.....any sign of poop sticking to the hair below their butt...down the rear of the back legs, is a clear indication that I need to watch them 'til they poop again, where I can see what it looks like. Anything starting to look abnormal, and it's off to the microscope with a sample to look for cocci, etc.

Whim

4. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hi Susie,
    We used diapers on our boys last year when we had them in the house. We actually kept them penned in an unheated room at night for a while. (They were so delicate!) Ha ha. They were really tough, I just worried about them since they were our only babies! It was easy just to wrap the diaper around their bellies, and then the kids, (my children) could play with them and cuddle up on the couch with them, etc. Of course, this didn't work for very long, but it was fun until they outgrew the diapers and their indoor house.
    Have you tried wrapping vet wrap, (the kind used for horses) around your little girls feet, making her some non-slip "slippers?" I've never tried it on goats, but I use it all the time for horses. It's got some grip to it, and it's pretty cheap and would be easy to do. Just don't get it too tight above the hoof. OR, you could put stall mats all over your linolium :biggrin
    Good luck. Aren't babies FUN! :laughcry

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

NOW Anita I just wonder how many horses you can get in on the linolium and how long they stay ????:)

6. susie

susie New Member

She figured out the linoleum yay! so we can gate her in here's my shopping list

bottles
    pullups
    outlet covers (she keeps wanting to lick them) I am NOT going to let her get electrocuted after pulling her through.

anything else?

Yes she's fun, she took a bottle just fine this morning, I'm feeding her 8 ounces at a time. Her poo is kinda runny but not watery, just slightly thinner than paste. I'll keep an eye on her, but she's doing great, rattles seem to have cleared up and she's running, jumping and totally being a pain :)

Susie

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I get baby clothing at a thrift store to pin the diapers to.

8. susie

susie New Member

What size pullups-- I assume the smallest-- or real diapers-- she's pretty small-thanks

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

well you don't want REAL DIAPERS but the regular paper diapers work too and putting them on backwards works best yes for my mini's 2 to 4 lbs I get small not premies can't remember exact size in lbs.

10. susie

susie New Member

oh, yep I meant disposable diapers vs. pull-ups

Susie