baby goat emergency - legs ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Feb 2, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

male goat just over 2 weeks old

has been perfectly healthy

Was running & playing at noon still...

Was just found with completely STIFF STRAIGHT legs unable to get up or bend them!

Does not seem to be in pain... alert eyes head bumping at daughter's chin ready for his bottle...

This is my daughter's goat.... his sister was the one with the bad facial deformity I had to put down.

His dam is up to date on cd/t

He is due to have his first this next week.

He is on pasteurized goats milk and was in my baby goat area in the house.

We are seperating him now.

Weight gain has been ok... 9lbs at birth... 15lbs at 2 wks

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

definitely NOT lethargic... they put him in a laundry basket and he did not care for that and got it tipped over....

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK in spite of acting hungry he only took 2" of his bottle... I am getting minutely reports here it seems.

They also think he is breathing funny and they DO think he is in pain.

OK obviously first I want to know what this could be...

but... this fellow is destined to be a wether sold for $40... so I need to take that into consideration and if the answer is put him down.... ok... I'll do that and trade my dd another wether to be... this is her only income really for the yr... so...

but obviously having had 11 other goats in with him.. I want to know what & why & if I need to do anything for the others...

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK whatever this is is fast...

front legs are stiffening...

told dd to take his temp... thermometer rose to 108, then flashed H, then turned off...

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

If he's still alive when my dh gets home he'll put him down....

starting to have facial grimace and breathing is worse.

This kid showed 0 signs of problems about noonish....

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

wow what a fever, floppy kid maybe but do they have fever with that? I hope it's not contagious

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Looking at his stats... though his weight gain is second slowest.... at .4lb/day.... interestingly the other twin to the other facially deformed goat has the lowest weight gain at .36lb/day

I am just looking at everything...

I told my dd she could have her pick of another wether to sell... she chose Poco...

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

foaming at the mouth

9. Do you have Vickies Number?
    She might be able to help...sounds bad. So Sorry honey :(

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I have Vickie's number... I just hesitate to call her on what appears to be a *lost cause* for a wether... if this was a doeling I'd be on the phone 2hrs ago...

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

blood in the foam

and my dd said it was only 4hrs from when he was running around last to finding him with stiff rear legs...

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I was prepared to put him down an hour ago... but I have had a rough day physically and my dh asked me to wait and let him care for it...

he'll be home about 9....

13. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I keep wondering tetanus... but first paralysis was rear legs.... neck & face were last...

dam was vaccinated pre breeding & pre kidding with bar vac cd/t... he was disbudded 10?11? days ago... he has NOT been outside and the shavings are kiln dried....

14. when you tap on his jaw does his eyes roll back?

15. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

16. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Since his twin was deformed, I'm wondering if he has some kind of internal deformity that is causing his whole body to go haywire. You might want to necropsy him after your hubby puts him down.

17. yup, find out what caused it. I sure would like to know if you find out.

18. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:sniffle So sorry to hear this Lynnin that is terrible and it came on so sudden...I have no input at all as never heard of this but it sure sounds neurological to me with such a high fever...again So sorry..