Baby goat cant stand up!!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dixiedairy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Yes, Alisa. BoSe should be given about 2 weeks prior to kidding. I also give BoSe to does earlier than that (or any time really) if I see their pasturns are dropped. The only does I gave this to that was not just prior to kidding was a dry 5yo and one other doe earlier in her pregnancy. I will repeat 2 weeks from kidding on this same doe.

Typically, I follow From Birth to Kidding in GK101.

2. dixiedairy

dixiedairy New Member

Thank you for all the advise. Well she has had a dose of BO-SE and vit E for the past two days. She's no longer in the sling. And have been working with her. Im starting to get discouraged cause she just isnt coming along like she should. She is still wobbly and noodly and cant stand up, when you stand her up her up on her legs, her legs just cave in under her. She is eating well and is in good spirits. I just dont know if there is anything else I can do.

3. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I had one once who we believed was copper deficient. I tried for three months with BoSe. Her twin seemed fine, then at three months died of heart failure. A week later the one that couldn't walk died. She was a learning experience. In my herd having a very hardy breed with lots of hybrid vigor, a kid that can't stand is not normal and prognosis is poor. I was actually kind of surprised at the advice to keep working with her. It just really depends on the herd I think and the reason the goat can't rise.

Copper deficiency can only be diagnosed reliably with a liver biopsy or you might be able to see lesions on the spinal cord with necropsy. But symptoms can be rough bleached out coat, tails that are bald on the tip looking like fish tails, black goats start looking red, other colors can get bleached out, parasites can be a greater than normal problem, lice... Look at the whole herd. Look at your feed, minerals. Feed and minerals approved for sheep (or "all stock") do not contain enough copper for goats. Goats need alot more. The high levels in horse feed are just fine.

4. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

Sorry for the hijack, but Angie I'm curious- how was heart failure determined as the cause of death? Necropsy? Thanks!

5. swgoats

swgoats New Member

I was holding the goat and listening with my stethoscope as the heart failed on the one that seemed just fine. She had no other symptoms. I heard her mama screaming and ran to the kid and saw she appeared to be having a heart attack. She just dropped, couldn't stand, labored breathing, heart beat was erratic, just took one last great breath, and then the heart slowed and stopped. It was just very sudden with no proceeding symptoms. I suppose I inferred heart trouble due to having researched the copper deficiency for the sister and knew it was a possibility. The one that could rise just got to a point when she wasn't improving anymore. She was always very sweet and loved her bottles. But one day she was just gone. She lived in the house so there was no possibility of death by worms or coccidia. I should have sent in the liver, but I was operating on emotion at that point.

6. swgoats

swgoats New Member

7. LLB101

LLB101 New Member

The little 1.1 lb doeling from a couple years ago that I had here... she couldn't stand and would just splay out every which way.

I put a rolled up towel under her several times per day on a non-slippery surface. It was kind of like training wheels. Didn't hold her up like a sling, it would collapse when she'd fall but not so far that she splayed out everywhere. She could struggle with the partial help of the towel and get one foot stable then another. She'd struggle quite a bit and really work her legs vs just going flat out splat and not able to start getting up again. It really seemed to help a lot to get her standing on her own.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Sometimes it just takes time and to keep treating the kid. I was helping a friend with her goats and noticed one of her Boer babies was dragging her back legs around behind her. She was able to raise up on the front ones to nurse, but couldn't walk. I treated her with BoSe and Vit E. It took a few days, but eventually she could stand and she grew to be a normal, healthy kid.

9. dixiedairy

dixiedairy New Member

Well I would like to start and say thank you for all the great advice! Between the Bo-Se, Vit E, a lot of time and effort, my baby goat is walking! She started getting up on her own about 4 days ago and from there it was on! Once she figured out that she could get up she would take a few steps before she would fall down, then to walking and even running. Her back legs drag a little if she gets exsited and in a hurry but I think that will work its self out with time. If she takes her time she is walking fine. I am so thankfull that I didnt have to take the Vets advise and put her down! Im sorry I didnt have a chance to update you all sooner! But I would just like to say thank you!!! I have read all of the goat keeping 101 so maybe I wont have to ever do this again!

10. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

That is great news!!!!!

11. smithurmonds

smithurmonds New Member

12. Trysta

Trysta New Member

13. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Jamie: how is thew wee one doing?

14. Ashley

Ashley New Member

15. Buffy Myers

Buffy Myers New Member

I know this is an older post, but I’m wondering if someone can tell me how often to give the BoSe on a baby that can’t stand? Is it daily? I know there is concern of toxicity.

16. greenTgoats

greenTgoats New Member

Start with 1/4ml and give a second dose the next day if needed.