Baby goat cant stand up!!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dixiedairy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. dixiedairy

dixiedairy New Member

My baby Goat was born yesterday at 10:00 am. The birth was fine. But the baby still cant stand up. Her legs are like noodles. I have been taking her out to momma and holding her up so she can nurse every four hrs. I was just wondering if anyone had some advise to help her! Thanks

2. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Did you give her a shot of BoSe? 1/4cc.

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Do you know for sure she is getting enough to eat? Bo-se? Is she warm enough. If she can't stand up she probably does not have a good suck reflex either. If you are keeping her inside, why not just bottle feed her so you know how much she is eating? Did the mother get bo-se before kidding. Does your mineral have a good source of selenium?

4. Bernice

Bernice New Member

Was she your first kid of this year? A shot of BO-SE would certainly help. Are you giving her any milk at all or are you having her nurse off her dam? Here is what I do, now remember, what works for me may or may not work for you:

When we notice a kid born with difficulty getting up we usually give the Bo-SE (generally it's white muscle disease which causes that). Sometimes it's due to the kidding process itself and the pressure on the kid as it exits. Other times from a hard kidding so sometimes they need a day or two to straighten out.

We also bring the kid into the house, which you too have done. I feed colostrum through a pritchard nipple, some will take the standard black ones, depends. If that doesn't work I syringe down milk in small squirts at a time. Once they get the, "knack" of sucking, and it won't take long, they will start to eat more. Once they eat more they gain strength in those legs and can stand. I have had kids take up to 2 days before standing.

I hope this helps.

5. dixiedairy

dixiedairy New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I am new to goats and this is the first kidding experice I have had. I havent heard of B0-SE But I am willing to try anything at this point. I have her in the house and I am bottle feeding now. I went and bought some colostrum and gave that to her and tried the coffee, dextrose, electrolytes mixture to try to boost her. She is spunky and got energy but just cant get those legs to do what she wants them to do. I have her in a sling contraption I have it hanging from the sling and got all four legs thru holes in a towle where her legs dangle down and barley touch the floor to try to make her put pressure on her legs. I have been puting pressure on her front legs to try to keep them from buckling under her, from her not using them. I took her to the vet today to take a look at her. She waighed 6.2 He said there is nothing broken and nothing felt out of place. He said that there is a good chance that she has a neuroilogical problem going on. But he said that not to give up hope that maybe she could be a little premature and to give her a week. If she's not walking then I should put her down. I do not want to believe that. Please help if there is anything I can do to get her to walk I would love to try it.

6. swgoats

swgoats New Member

A couple deficiencies can cause a newborn not able to rise - Selenium deficiency can be treatable with BoSe. Copper deficiency can also make them unable to walk, and it is untreatable in a young kid that can't rise because the spinal cord won't be formed right. (Got this info from a phone call with a vet at Washington State University.) Be advised both conditions can affect the heart. I think the vet's advice is sound but ask him for BoSe. It is worth a shot.

7. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Bo-Se and vitamin E (every day) until better...

8. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

If this little one is early and it has developmental problems, you won't know enough without the Vit E and BoSe. Once you have given that and given it time to work we will want an update.
    Tam

9. dixiedairy

dixiedairy New Member

Thank you so much for the help! How much of the BO-SE and Vit E should I start with?

10. Trysta

Trysta New Member

I would absolutely not put her in a sling. Muscles that don't get to work never get stronger. Just keep her in a small box (old sweater on the bottom for better grip then straw) and set her on her feet several times a day, slightly supporting her belly, but then look if she can hold her own being somewhat supported by the sides of the box. I had a big buckling that couldn't stand a few weeks back, but with the box method he was standing up within a day. Slings are used for animals with structural injuries, not for newborns that need to build muscle strength! Bo-Se and such are very good, too, but I just wanted to pipe in here, because very often there's really nothing majorly wrong with an animal that can't immediately stand, so don't mess it up by letting the muscles totally 'fall asleep'!

11. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I've had one kid like that Bo-se and she was up in a matter of minutes.

12. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

1/4 cc BoSe and 1 capsule of 400IU Vit E.
    Tam

13. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Bo-Se: 1/4 cc SubQ (you have to get it from your vet) and for Vit E, just get the capsules for people from the grocery store in the vitamin section, snip off the end, and squeeze the contents into her mouth. 1x/day.

14. dixiedairy

dixiedairy New Member

I gave her the BO-SE and the Vit E a few min ago. I am continuing to work with her. So I guess we just wait and see! As far as the cause of this whole mess! If the baby has a deficiency does that mean the momma is low on something too? Momma isnt running a fever and she eats Alfalfa hay, feed, and grazes ect. She seems in over all good health. Nothing abnormal with her. Is there something that I should of done to prevent this, or should be doing for her to make sure she is in good health and to prevent this from happening ever again? Thanks to all for all your help.

15. swgoats

swgoats New Member

For Selenium deficiency you give BoSe to the mom - the protocol should be in Goat Keeping 101. For copper deficiency you have to begin copper supplementation of some kind. Most on here prefer copper boluses filled with copper oxide particles. More info is in Goat Keeping 101. (Copper sulfate is another option you will read about other places.)

16. carlidoe

carlidoe New Member

Make sure your doe has free choice access to a good mineral. Giving a couple of doses of Bose during pregnancy can help as well. Read From Birth til Kidding under Goat Keeping 101. It gives very easy to follow management directions.

17. Trysta

Trysta New Member

I have very good experiences too with always offering free choice minerals to all my animals, but especially my milking does and dry does. They really do seem to regulate their intake themselves better than I could: I notice differences in how much of the mineral they eat depending on the hay quality I'm feeding, for example, and right now I have more high producing does than a few weeks ago and those does are also digging in the mineral feeder. It's a great system.

Did you take the kid out of the sling? Please do. I speak not only as a farmer, but also as an experienced soccer coach who has dealt with a lot of injury prevention and also recovering athletes: unused muscles are incredibly hard to get back in use, so the more your doeling stands up with or without your help, the better it is, but also repositioning herself while laying down is exercise for the muscles, and she doesn't get that while hanging in a sling. Just think of it as physical therapy! Good luck. Don't give up, because usually these kids will recover, get stronger and hop around before you know it!

18. racyford

racyford New Member

Jamie, you will probably have to give 2 BoSe shots. It will probably take about a day to see the difference. I forgot twice to give does their BoSe shots while pregnant and both time have had a baby born like this. (Totally different lineage in the moms so it is not necessarily hereditary.) It is just herd management. I believe the BoSe also helps with easier birthing for the moms! They like that. :) It will get better. If you have more pregnant goats, give them their shots now.

19. peregrine

peregrine New Member

I had two does give birth this year. They get the same care and diet. One doe is mature 4 y/o and the other is 1 y/o FF. The 4 y/o had amazing babies and easy birth. The 1 y/o had one dead baby plus 2 weak kids. The kids were unable to stand until the 2nd day and at day 5 one of them still has one leg with contracted tendons (but at least now he is running and standing and nursing and doing great, except for his weaker, braced, leg). I gave them both DAILY bo-se 1/4 cc per day plus a 400 IU Vit E each day until improved 100%. The weak leg baby is still getting Vit E and 1/4 cc bo-se every other day. I gave the both pregnant does bo-se about 3 months into pregnancy. Perhaps I should have given them another dose....