Baby Boers and discontinuing milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ms42son, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ms42son

ms42son Guest

I have some 8wk old boers and am wondering how soon I can wean them. Someone told me I could now, but they are just beginning to eat pellets fairly good now.
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. I wean 10-12 weeks minimum. My buck kids last year (Breeding bucks) were weaned at 16wks. I believe.

3. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I would wait until at least 12 weeks, longer if you can. You want to make sure that they are eatting their other food well before you wean them. Now, as you get closer to 12 weeks you can start to cut down the feedings of milk and this will encourage them to eat more feed. But they need to be eatting feed well or won't grow like they should.
    Theresa

4. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I went 5 months with my doelings this year. :) For the last month and a half they were only getting a liter aday but it made some nice kids. I was told my doeling had an awesome barrel at every 4H show I went to.. (I blame the pasture for that one ;) ) I like to wean at 12 weeks for kids that are being sold, but every year there is a kid or two by 10 weeks is on pasture and hay enough they just forget about the bottle. This was the case with the doelings they just got sick of getting bottles and preferred to go eat the pasture. :)

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

This is what I do with the boers I am selling. My replacement doelings I leave on their Mamas for about 4-5 months. They usually go eat with their Mamas out of the feed troughs and then step over to the side with Mom for some milk, then everyone goes to eat Hay.

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Breeding stock: bucks, weaned at 12 weeks (need to be removed from the females and usually about 60-70 lbs by then)

does: Weaned by their dams. Otherwise, if I was bottle feeding, 12-14 weeks.

Market wethers: 8 weeks, except for my children's wethers - they get to go to about 12 weeks, just because their dams have the milk, so why not? 4-H kids pick up about 9 weeks, after the kids are weaned at least 1 week. They all do just fine.

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I raised Boers, if they were dam raised, doelings were weaned by their dams. Wethers also stayed on the dams either until she weaned them or I took them to the sale. Bucklings were weaned from dam or bottle at 12 weeks. Bottle doe kids were weaned at 12-16 weeks along with the dairy doelings. Kathie

8. ms42son

ms42son Guest

Thank you for all the imput will continue with the bottles awhile longer