babies

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Jan 18, 2009.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

:update
    (Thank you Sara for your help today)

I had to go in because she was not progressing, I believe she may really be low in copper I had a hard time breaking the sack. dark fluid came out baby in distress, then I broke through the bag all the way and so much fluid I was drenched. I have never seen so much fluid. the first baby was really hard to get out because she had been dead a few days, visibly smaller than the other eyes shrunken in , a really colorful Sable saanen omg. light tan on one side with dark silver splash on the other. way down deep inside I felt another kid and began to arrange it. Had to break through that sack as well. I was surprised when it pulled back :biggrin Doe number two. Saanen , then fishing down deep the other way, I found another bag after breaking it I could not reach I had to hug UP while pushing down into her deep belly to grab whatever I grabbed I pulled it up to get a hold of it, and positioned it, and surprisingly this one also alive and the Third doe. both have correct teats as well. : ) I gave pagan another check bounced her, hugged up and checked far in. gave her a 1/2 cc of oxytocin. (Have NO idea if that was right or not) but if she need s more more is easier to do than less : ) Sent the older boy out with Hot sugar water for her. Now. is there something else I should do with her. like a syringe of oxytocin in the uterus? or antibiotics? the dead kid wasn't at all decomposed. Should I give her more calcium today Injec CMPK? I did give her some Coral calcium (for people ) in her sugar water.

2. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

:handclap Triplet does! That's great. Sorry about the little one. And doing a uterine flush couldn't hurt. Especially with that dead kid being in there. Seems like a doe year so far! Congrats! :biggrin

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Congrats on 3 doe kids, sorry one didn't make it though.

4. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Congrads on the new babies and doelings at that! :handclap
    Theresa

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oxytocin in the uterus is to control bleeding.

Yes you can flush the uterus with tetracycline and sterile water.

Yes you want to continue the CMPK or calcium injections for the next several days until she is in milk with no symptoms period. Do not stop until she is eating well, milking with no tremmors...it is not shaking like folks are talking about...it's little muscle tremors in their back legs, which then can lead to a weakness overall in the back, not shivering. A balking at jumping up on the milkstand or getting up to come to the milkstand because of this rear leg weakness.

If you literally pulled the kids without much help from her along with the calcium...and oral calcium no matter what the fancy name :) isn't going to cut it here, also think about oxytocin and yes the 1/4 cc is fine, every 4 hours or so the next 12 hours, to make sure she passes placenta but also tones her uterus back down...and just like we have our fundus massaged after we kid, you can bear hug her also. But 2cc IM of lute will also help this all along also. So will milking more than every 12 hours, but I am of the old school of letting them have some of the colostrum in the udder always, I never milkout and massage out every drop, I want them to have a source of colostrum/milk calcium in times of stress like this. Injectable antibiotics is your call. With all the oral meds I would pass and take her temp each milking instead, and start her on meds only if she spikes a fever. Vicki

6. Congratulations on the triplet doelings, sorry the one didn't make it. :(

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You are very welcome Sherrie. :)

I would certainly keep up with the calcium. 1/2cc Oxytocin every few hours until she passes her placenta. I don't know that I would give any additional Lutalyse as I know she already had a second dose.

Congrats on the new babies and I am so glad it all worked out for you!

Sara

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oh sorry, when did you give her the second dose of lute? vicki

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

um,, I think I gave her the 2nd lute shot around 12ish? she hadnt Loosened up enough for me to get a hand in yet. and She has gotten around 60 cc's of CMPK so far today, and she looks Great. She was Eating right after getting those kids out. I milked a tiny bit of colustrum out. Just at 6pm milked out a little more, took her a warm bucket of Water, and some of that special hay she drank and ate her 1/2 lb of grain and attacked her hay.. I noticed that Sara was on today so I just PM'd her about the second shot of lute. It doesn't help with a dead kid being on top they sure don't progress up the birth canal like a live kid seems to do.
    btw those syringes I've been complaining about, lol I tried to lode a syringe of Dex, and the black stopper let air up into the syringe as I was loading it and Dex ran down my bare hand all over me. I hope it doesn't have any interesting side effects if it absorbs through the skin. Like shrinking mammerie sysytems or anything.

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You did the right thing with the second injection of Lute. It's great to hear your doe is doing well. Keep up with the calcium until she is symptom free.

Delivering a dead kis is much more difficult than a live kid. They certainly don't help themselves being born nor do they produce the hormones needed for delivery.

Sara

11. shawhee

shawhee Member

Congrats on the doe babies, and glad your doe is doing well. Good job!