artifical insemination?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatnewbie, Jul 7, 2008.

1. goatnewbie

goatnewbie New Member

I am new to goats and have 3 Apline baby does that I would like to breed late this fall. At this time I do not have a separate building to house a buck and actually do not want to spend the extra money at this time as I would like to install a little milkhouse in my goat barn. I am not against having my does bred naturally but the thought of taking them to someone else's place and possibly bringing something back to my goats scares me. So I have been contemplating the possibility of artificial insemination? Any information out there or sources? I have no idea where to start and where to look? Thank you for information you can shed on the subject.
    Denise Long
    Longview Farm

2. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Hi Denise,

There is a lot of useful websites that explain AI, as well as videos that you can purchase to learn how. I stronly recommending having a breeder who is successful at AI to train you, but if you have a basic understanding of anatomy, you should be ok.

I would like to say, that in my opinion, nothing beats having access to a live buck. Don't get me wrong, and as AI Committee Chair I should be encouraging AI (and I do!) BUT.. NOT every doe is a good AI candidate. I have had some does who NEVER settle AI, others get pregant just walking past the tank! (ok, not really). There are other things that can cause a doe not to settle, poor quality semen, straws that are non-viable, bad timing, improper thawing techniques, etc.

You will be looking at some costs. A complete AI kit will be in the $150 range, you can get "basics" cheaper. The MUST haves is a gun, sheaths,light source, speculums, straw cutter and lubricant. You also need a thaw jar. You can buy fancy ones for $45-$50m or go to a thrift store and get a thermos (like from a child's lunch box).. Mine has SIMBA on it (from the Lion King... seriously!)

The largest investment will be a semen tank, unless you have access to one that you can rent space in. Tanks are getting more affordable, and you can purchase new ones starting at $500. Used tanks will be in the $250-$350 range and up.

Many of the processors have websites with excellent information. Some that come to mind are.

http://www.biogenicsltd.com
    http://www.thebuckbank.com
    http://www.frozenassetsaar.com
    http://www.harborside.com/~aaai/

There are several other processors, and I am not endorsing any particular one. The above are the ones that process in the Northwest. Frozen Assets just re-located to the mid-west, so I am sure her territory would be more in that area.

AI is a FANTASTIC way to add new genetics, and use semen from bucks who have been dead for decades! But it's not a guarantee.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions. There are a lot of people on the forum who use AI to further the genetics in their herds!

Ken in Idaho

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Hi Denise.
    I'm pretty new too and I also have two young doe that could be bred this fall--well one of them anyway. I feel the same way you do so I'm glad you asked about the AI.

Ken__Can a vet do this? I mean do they have tanks?

JoAnn

4. Odeon

Odeon New Member

It depends on your vet. Some vets have tanks.. others dont. If you need to rent space in a tank for your semen, check with other goat breeders in your area. Or perhaps a cow dairy may have one that will rent you space.

Now COW AI is not the same as goat AI.

Ken

5. goatnewbie

goatnewbie New Member

Thanks Ken I plan on looking into this more, I will keep you posted.
    Denise

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Denise you might also want to bump this thread up in a week or so as folks are getting back home from nationals. It's that time of year soon to have the AI refresher discussion. Vicki

7. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Before you do anything investigate the total cost. Nitrogen has been a large expense over the years. Make sure you factor in that expense. Could you go in partners with someone who could house a buck? I don't know about everyone else, but I AI a lot of goats before the first one actually settled.

8. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I settled my very first goat on the first try! :)

Sara

9. Odeon

Odeon New Member

So did I Sara! I was 17, I think it was back in 1986. It was a Nubian to boot!

Ken

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

As did I, it was in someone elses barn on a much better goat than I ever had, with him peering over my shoulder! And the HIM was a pretty well known Nubian breeder, I don't know how my hands weren't shaking! The confidence of being young.

I think with all the new information on Cidr's etc...that AI really is something a new person can handle...but boy do I want a buck in raging rut to do most of the work! Vicki

11. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I Ai'ed two last year and one settled the other one I jumped to gun and did it too soon...

So yep it can be done with lots of patience..

Autumn

12. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

I've been thinking along the same lines too. Im new myself and would rather not take the girls anywhere. Im not far from you, (down past Lansing) Im going to be checking out if Mich State offers a class or if there are any goat people around here that can also teach. (I have last years ADGA members book and there are a few that say they are AI certified) I will let you know what I find out.

13. Odeon

Odeon New Member

MOST, if not all, of the semen processors for goats offer classes to learn to AI. They are VERY informative and "hands on". I have attended the one by Frozen Assets, and have seen the video offered by the Buck Bank. I have heard good things about BioGenics as well.

Andy and Ida Purcella (All American AI) are the pioneers of AI in dairy goats, and have been inseminating since the 1960's.

There is usually an AI class held in conjunction with the ADGA convention as well.

Ken

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Hhhhmmm...I didn't know you had to be certified to AI or to even teach it. I better get my rear in gear and get "certified" QUICK! :/

Ken, you certified? Being as you're Chairman of the ADGA AI Committee.

Just pulling your leg, Gunnie. ;) No one is "certified" that I know of. Some of the processors have some type of credentials(?)... but it's mostly to process semen. And trust me when I say there are some "Way off the Wall" techniques that are used. Best bet is to ask around (other breeders) and find someone that has a high settle rate-75-90%- success. I am very leary of anyone stating a 100% success rate.

Now, with that said...AI is the fastest and in the end...cheapest way to improve your herd. You have access to some of the highest rated bucks, milk/type, in the industry. When you consider that a good "buckling" can cost upwards of $1,000 and you can usually buy semen for around $25 a straw from him or his sire, then the cost of tank/equip/ and maintenance is far less than his cost. AND best of all...that semen doesn't escape, breed does you don't want bred, tear up your fences, lay down and die (well, unless your tank goes bad). Yes, it takes a little more work on your part with tracking heats, watching your does, and breeding at the optimum time...but to me, it's worth it.

If I was able to teach a 13yr. old girl to AI and she got settles...then anyone can learn it. I love the quote someone told me..."It's not brain surgery, anyone can learn to AI."
    Kaye

15. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

My problem is having to do A I by my self it is not fun and a lot of work if any one has any tips on doing it on your own I could use the help.
    I have a friend that can help some but it is hard to get the timing down unless we do the timing with Cidr's.
    It cost me 50$ to fill my tank last week and last year it was around 20$ to fill it. :crazy:(
    If you buy a tank pay the big $$$$ and get a tank with the longest holding time it well pay for it self with how often you have to fill it.

Fran

16. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Fran,

I know quite a few people who use a sling to AI by themselves, some folks have the "fancy" AI stands that support the sling, some just hang it from their barn rafters.

I usually AI alone. MOST times, the doe will stand once the speculum is inserted. The key is have all of your equipment right next to you, so it is easy to grab.

Ken

and Kaye.. I have been told I am certifable, not sure if that is the same thing tho! :rofl

17. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Oh, I'm definately certifiable! I think I could even get "papers" to prove it! :lol

I AI by myself all the time. I actually don't want anyone in the barn. It bothers the does.
    I have a short 3' long stand built. It puts the does back feet at the edge. It's tall enough that when I sit on a 5 gallon bucket, "everything" is right at eye level. The main thing is to take your time, let the doe settle before you start. For jumpers...the does that jump every time you get hold of their tail or try to penetrate the cervix..I have a saddle girth that is placed around and under their flanks and their back feet are lifted off the stand. I've only had to use this a couple of times on maiden does, not used to the stand.
    Kaye

18. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

Sorry When I asked what the AI under their name stood for that was what was what I was told. Next time I wont say anything.

19. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

No harm, no foul. The AI under their names means they utilize AI (or use) same as DHIR(Dairy Herd Improvement Registry) or LA (Linear Appraisal).
    Kaye

20. So did I. And TRIPLET DOES to boot:)