Are you ever concerned when you sell raw milk?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by farm mom, Mar 31, 2008.

1. farm mom

farm mom New Member

I would like to start selling our raw milk. It is legal here in the state of Oregon as long as you don't have more than nine milkers and don't advertise. We follow strict protocal when handling our milk and equipment. My husband is concerned. He is afraid what if someone gets sick and comes after us and sues us. We own our own business plus our property and such. I have had several people ask to buy the milk already. How much of a concern is this? Anyone get sick off there own milk or someone get sick off of yours? I've heard people say only sell to people who you know wouldn't sue but in this sue crazy world can you really be sure of that? Any opinions?

2. buckrun

buckrun New Member

My customers prefer raw milk and that is one reason they have come to me- for a healthful product. Our law in Arkansas says you must make it plain to them that it is a raw milk product. I don't know how you do that well enough to satisfy a lawyer but I hand out a sheet with a rap about my herd and feeding and care and milking proceedures making sure to state that I am selling raw milk. I am sure that is no legal protection so it might be wise to pick and choose your customers.
    Lee

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Hi-- I posted in your thread on HT but there are a couple things I would look into:
    1. Create a release that states that raw milk contains natural bacteria, etc. Make the customer sign once to keep on file that says they understand and assume the risk. Most raw enthusiasts will understand.
    2. Join the Weston Price Farm-to-Consumer defense fund. It is more to keep you out of hot water with the authorities, but they can probably help you find good release language, too.
    3. Consider making an S-corp or LLC out of your milk business to protect your other assets.

I would try not to worry too much - but I understand the concern. I think you'll be able to find ways to minimize risk to the point you can be comfortable.

4. Dusty

Dusty Member

What are the dangers of raw milk? I assumed it was healthy as long as it is fresh.

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

What about a label that states, raw goat milk -consume at your own risk?

Christy

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I tell people it is "pet milk" and that if they choose to drink it raw, it is at their own risk. These folks consider it a priviledge to be able to get raw milk and I've never had any problems. Kathie

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Same here it is sold as pet or soap milk and they know what Texas Laws are so it is at their own risk

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I inform everyone that it is illegal to sell them raw milk for human consumption . I can however sell you milk to make soap. It is handled the same way as my milk I drink. It comes from the same goats , same milk pail , is handled the same way , put in the same clean jars , and in the same fridge. If someone want milk to soap with I just go grab a jar .

Now what they do with it when they leave my doorstep is none of my buisness.

I have thought of writing up something for them to sign stating they are buying raw milk to make soap and understand that I am not selling it for human consumption.

Patty

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Are you ever concerned when you sell raw Mud?

MY MUD SALES are really down today tho :)

10. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Speaking of Mud, today was the first day that I took Annabelle's Snake kid off of her last night and she gave a whole SnakeET of Mud!! What a great Frog!! :rofl

(Sorry. I probably shouldn't get so offtopic, but it's an off-topic day?)

To get back on topic, it might be a better idea to make them sign a release that they're buying milk for non-human consumption/use?

I wouldn't label it as raw milk except to say "not for human consumption." People might get the wrong idea about "Raw Dog Milk" and report you to the authorities for milking dogs. :laughcry

-- Wendy

11. Corky

Corky New Member

:rofl Happy April 1! :rofl

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:yeahthat :rofl :rofl

13. LMonty

LMonty New Member

i have fallen through the rabbitt hole!

sneaked on here at a break at work, took a good couple of minutes before I figured things out! gOSH, i FEEL OLD!!!

14. coso

coso Guest

I wish I could sell mud cause we have way too much of it around here after all the rain we have had. :rofl :help2

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just have Vicki come up for a while she can sell crap in a bucket MUD shouldn't be a problem :)