Are these Lung Worms?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by shawhee, Jul 20, 2008.

1. shawhee

shawhee Member

2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

AFAIK, yes, those are HC. I don't know about the round thing.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

The round things at the top are air bubbles. :)

4. shawhee

shawhee Member

Stacy LOL - Yes I know those are air bubbles, but on the second set there is an unknown that is surely not an air bubble. Thanks

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It is a liver fluke egg. the bigger one. If you will look closely...you will notice that one end is more pointed than the other. In HC the ends are exactly the same. Look at this egg closely and remember that HC is rounded on the ends and that liver flukes have one end that is more pointed. Some even have a cap (so to speak) on the end.
    Small one is coccidia egg.
    Kaye

6. shawhee

shawhee Member

Thank you Kaye - I though cocci but was not sure. Ah I do see the point. Thank you so much.

Shawna

7. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Shawee, were the liver flukes and HC done under the same magnification? I didn't realize they looked that much alike (hc and liverflukes). Great pictures! I do my own fecals with a usb microscope. I have identified cocci and hc in the past. Great pictures! Excellent focus with clear images.

Tara Green
    www.greenacresgoatsfarm.com
    Dayton, TX

8. shawhee

shawhee Member

Tara,
    I am assuming that they are all liver flukes now, according to what Kaye said. I have a swift microscope from e-bay - $35 bucks yeah! This is only my second time to try fecals, and I was not sure what I was seeing as to me they looked like HC - but everything seems to look kind of similar to me. I just stuck my camera up to the lens and took pictures - and yes they are all at the same magnification... 40x

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

At 10x the coccidia egg would be very small. These catch my attention at 10x because I've seen so many of them in the past. When I find one...I up to 40x to make sure.
    Kaye

10. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

I didn't realize they looked that much alike. Kaye, (or anyone else who is sure) Please check these out and see if I have them identified correctly. These are older pics from a boer doe of ours that we weaned her babies from her in June.
    http://www.greenacresgoatsfarm.com/parasites.htm. Thanks,

Tara

11. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

So....Ivermec Plus would be the course of action for the Liver Flukes...correct? Would that also rid them of HC if that was the problem instead? What would the dosage be?

Thank you....Tamera

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Tara...I hate to tell you, but those are liver fluke eggs. Once again, HC is perfectly round on both ends. No points or narrow ends.

For liver fluke, which I have found in my does, I use Ivomectin Plus once every 10 days for 3 treatments. It's amazing at the difference it makes getting these out of the liver. A bonus is that it also breaks the life cycle of the HC.
    Kaye

13. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

Do liver Flukes cause bottle jaw like HC does?

Tara

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

That was actually a question I posed my vet last year when there were so many kid and adult deaths do to HC. None of us really thought that it really was the problem, we thought it was liverflukes and cocci.

As close to an answer as we got from Texas A&M is that yes you can have bottle jaw, because bottle jaw is about anemia, anemia that then causes swelling and liver flukes can cause liver failure and a sypmtom is swelling. So if you have bottle jaw that doesn't start out as anemia, but then goes to anemia you know you are dealing with liver failure. Oh and also you can have swellings in the lower extremities.

You need to be very careful using flukecides with just bred does, knowing you are breeding right now. vicki

15. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Oh wow, thanks I am taking a closer look to see the differences.

16. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

I'm sure it doesn't but just wanted to make sure that cydectin has no effect on liver flukes? We used ivermec Plus for lungworm and liverfluke treatement on our goats earlier this spring. If you know a doe is possibly bred, when would be the best time during gestation to use a flukecide? If it's not safe, what would be a safe alternative until they are at a safe stage where a flukecide can be used? I am going to refecal our boer doe who has had so may problems with bottlejaw and fecals of what looked like HC. After seeing the pictures and hearing from all of you, I'm not so sure she don't have liverflukes, especially since the cydectin seems not to be working. I gave her cydectin, the bottlejaw came back. Fecal tested still had worms (or liverflukes?) I have now given her cydectin 3 times in the last month and a half and had her isolated in a clean pen. The day after cydectin, the bottle jaw starts going away, only to come back about 10 days later. None of the rest of our goats has these (hc or liverflukes) in their fecal test so I am not sure now if it was hc or flukes I was seeing and I didn't save the microscope images, so I will have to refecal test. I will save the images and send the link for confirmation. First cocci, then HC, now this!!! argggg :/ So much to learn about goats and learning more every day. Thanks to all of you who share your knowledge and experience.

Tara