Are Nubian babies usually skinny?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madeleine M., Mar 31, 2008.

1. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

Well, now that we know the screaming momma isn't dying, we need something else to worry about.

Our babies look so skinny!

They are both doing well, running around, and drinking colostrum every few hours.

Is it normal for them to be thin?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I think they are compared to ND or my mini's they are all legs but it is all relative get some pictures on here for people to see. If thier little bellies get full after feeding etc they are probably alright.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

All babies are born skinny! You oughta' birth a few Saanens if you think skinny. GASP...I thought something was wrong, next thought...MAN, that buck put dairy character in!! :lol
    Now, the Saanen doeling is starting to look like a white fattening hog... :/
    Kaye

4. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Ours are all little string beans when they are born. Even the biggest ones we've had (9 pound) look skinny to me - just taller.

5. The triplets last year were skinny lookin...they sure did pack on the weight and grew fast. lol

6. Truly

Truly New Member

Yes Ma'am.

My nubian kids are all skinny when born. It is almost to the point of being scarey. But they fill out in a couple of weeks.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH and what is so funny to me is their legs don't work anything like a ND or mini those little ones can bend those legs and get in and out of cattle panel like a pro but the nubian babies can't do that their legs just don't bend like the mini's

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

That's what I thought, too until this year. It used to be that the ND, Boer and grade babies snuck through the fence. This year, some of the Nubian kids have gone through the cattle panels, and all you Nubian owners know what the mamas sound like when they want their kids. Kathie

9. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

Nubian babies can go through cattle panels like they're not there, too. After Annabelle had her triplets, we were standing outside the kidding pen, which is separated into two pens with cattle panels down the middle. One of her babies "walked" through the cattle panel wall like it wasn't even there to get to the other side. He was only a few hours old and we'd just put another doe, Gypsy, who had just kidded into the other side and this little buck wanted to see what was going on. :D

Of course, they can only do that for a couple of days. Then they get too big.

10. Pairaka

Pairaka Guest

Exactly. that's why we've gone to field fencing and are replacing the cattle panel fence "wall" in the kidding pen with goat panel. :D

11. goatsareus

goatsareus Guest

yep, ours are skinny minnies too. When they bounce off the walls, dh says, they are just wasting that goats milk, could be using it to put meat on those bones.