Are My Expectations for My Little Doeling too High?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I have an 10 day old doeling that I have been bottlefeeding from birth to now, I want to get her on another doe so that this doe will have someone eating on her when I go out of town in a few weeks. She makes a ton of milk and just has one little buck who doesn't eat much. I am trying to get this doeling to eat while the doe is in the stand. She absolutely has no idea what to do and wants to just have her bottle. :? I thought I would withhold her bottle for a few feedings to see if she catches on to nursing. Have any of you ever done this? Am I asking too much of this doeling for her to change now when she's never nursed before? Or will she catch on when she gets hungry? Thanks! Kristin

2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

What kind of nipple are you useing? You can take those black lamb nipples and put them on the end of the goat's teat and they will usually take it. Do that for a couple days, and then try to get her to eat without it perhaps.

3. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

I am using Caprine Supply grey nipples. I'll try it!

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

So, who's going to put the doe in the stand for the kid to nurse when your gone?