Are my doelings bred?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I have 2 doelings that I am not sure are bred. They have been hand bred and both did the hunchie-butt and should be due in April. However, both seem to have come back into heat. I think. But the bucks on the other side of the fence, who are still rutty, are not interested. The does will wag their tails when i apply pressure in front of the tail head. We have had sunshine so the vulvas could be swollen or sunburned, don't know. I am usually pretty good at this but thought I would ask. I worry about the tail wagging with pressure.

One is LM and one is Boer. LM was actually hand bred 2 different heats.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I had two Nubian doelings that I was sure were back in heat several times after being bred. Tail wagging a little, talking to the bucks, slightly pinkish vulva.....the works. They never wanted the bucks when I put him with them though, even though the buck was interested. Well, they are due next month and its now *very* obvious that they are bred. ;) I think sometimes that doelings just don't know what they want. :lol
    I'd think that if they were truly in heat that the bucks would be interested just a bit??

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin I give both them doe's a 50/50 chance of being bred.

Kiddin aside......I had a doe last year that was very much preggy, and she would still take a buck. I kept sticking him in there because she acted like she was still open......Hussy I say.

4. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Yep, they sure could be bred. One of the ones I got a report on from BioTracking today just kept teasing the buck and letting him breed her, about every 7-10 days. But according the the numbers on the test results, she is way along bred and must have settled on one of the early heats. Some of them will tease and take a buck throughout their pregnancies.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yep. I'm firm believer in the test from Bio-Tracking. The absolute best in determining pregnancy...rather than guessing and since I wonder if the CIDRs have an effect on progestrone tests....I'll keep using BTracking.
    Kaye

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Well, at this ppoint, I almost think it may be better to wait and breed them later IF they are still open. If bred now they would kid in the heat. I have no particular reason to breed the lone Boer to a LM anyway, other than to get butcher bucklings and "reverse" LaBoer doelings. As far as the LM doeling goes, I have plenty of other LM does/doelings bred for milk so it won't be a big loss of milk, just an irritation.

7. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I plan to send in some blood to Bio Tracking for preg. check for the first time later this month. So can the results help to determine when the doe took, besides a yes or no to the pregnancy?

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No...although he knew Babette was more than just bred because of her numbers. But he had no idea that she was at least 90 days. Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Diane can't you do the pooch test and tell?