Are any of you worried about the FDA globalization act of 2008

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by kidsngarden, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I figure if this goes through as they have it drafted now with the $12,000 a year fee I'll be gone out of business. Kitchen inspections and testing and the red tape paper work is one thing, but the yearly fee will kill me.

I've already contacted my congressman and signed the petition on the indie network (though I'm not sure how effective that petition will be anyway). Olivia on the Whisk is telling people how to prepare for the change as if it is set it stone and it got me wondering how you all are feeling about it since there aren't many on here who are big time enough to pay that fee. I figure there will be 5% of us independents left standing if it goes through. I hope it doesn't as I have worked really hard on my business and continue to do so. This holiday season I have projected a decent profit after a fair amount time in the red, but in the back of my mind the though lingers about how all I've worked for will be gone if this passes.

I just wanted to hear your opinions on it besides that we know in general it stinks. Are you even thinking about it right now?

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I thought it was a 2000 dollar a year fee? and what kitchen inspections? If we have to have a licensed kitchen that'll stop most right there. If it touches us little people then our suppliers will be gone. But Vickie said not to worry, (I'm being serious here, I'll worry when she says worry!)

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

the video on the Indie network says "up to $12,000 a year just for the privilege of doing business" I've tried to hear the actual hearing but it's not working for me.

The kitchen thing is what Olivia is saying. I don't know how much she really knows as she actually said contacting our reps wouldn't matter and that this is going to happen no matter what. Something about the FDA gaining respect internationally. She didn't seem very happy when I said we need to work on stopping the legislation, not figuring out how we are going to get paperwork and testing done. I know in europe it is very hard with lots of red tape to sell bath and body. It's ironic because there are lots of drugs there you can buy OTC that you need a prescription for here.