Anyone use Orbeseal?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Jun 27, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Just curious if anyone has tried this. It is a teat infusion that you use just before dry-off, no drugs or hormones, just wax that seals the teat. I tried it last year and am debating whether to use it again this year. I used Tomorrow and then Orbeseal together. I've had a ton of trouble in the past with drying up does, was always told to do it cold-turkey and would end up with at least one case of mastitis even though I dry-treated everybody. Last year none...although I cut back milking to once/day, then once every other day, etc. I am not sure if it was the Orbeseal or the dry-off technique.

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I've used Orbeseal since it was first on the market. I have had excellent results with dry treating and then following with the Orbeseal. In fact, I wouldn't be without it at dry off time.

Sara

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Last year none...although I cut back milking to once/day, then once every other day, etc.

This is alikely contributing to your mastitis more than anything else. When you dry up a goat normally, she is 100 days pregnant, and just stopping her from her daily visits to the milkstand for extra grain will likely stop milk production. At the most, easing out a few cups out of both sides to keep her from leaking is all that is needed. When you try to dry up by milking once a day, then milking every two days, it still triggers the oxytocin in her brain to produce milk. When you want to stop milking, yes if they are producing alot of milk you can cut that amount down for a couple of weeks by going to once a day milking. But then the milking routine has to stop, which means no more emptying the udder. Yes check the udder for fullness twice a day, and no doe should ever be allowed to leak, this causes most mastitis. But by easing her and not milking her out, and no more trips to the milkstand for grain, that is how you dry a doe.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Disagreeing here, Sara. I asked around about Obeseal, because I wanted those teat ends SEALED after I dry treated. A GREAT BIG NOOOOO!! from RZ. He had more mastitis upon freshening than he did without using it. It caked the teat canal and leaked up into the udder causing irritation. He's since gone to fingernail polish on the teat ends. I tried that this past year and it worked. I had to reapply the FNP at about 50 days when I re-treated one of the does.
    Kaye

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Agreeing to disagree Kaye. :biggrin I have had excellent results using Orbeseal and I contribute using it to reduced cases of mastitis in my herd.

Have you ever tried Dry Off teat sealant? It works like fingernail polish as it seals the teat end. Hamby Dairy Supply carries it.

Sara

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Vicki....I had trouble with mastitis every time I tried to just quit milking. With gradually cutting back I had no trouble. I cut their grain and hay way back when I started to dry them off both ways. However, they were not 100 days bred, they weren't bred at all yet. I usually start to dry off does in September so some of them were not even milking 160 days. I did the cold-turkey method for three years, every year at least one doe turned up with mastitis. Ruining 1/2 the udder on three does is enough to make me sick...and I know it's got to be something I'm doing wrong. (I never cultured them, so they probably weren't treated right and thus the ruined udder, but they shouldn't have gotten mastitis in the first place.)

Another thing...if you "ease" the doe, do you re-treat it?

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl That PINK STUFF?? Oh, yeah! There's a pint (well, 1/2 pint) and I use it every fall. I have pink teats and inside rear legs for quite a while. :blush Kinda' adds some color to those brown/white does. :lol
    But it does seal the teat ends.
    Kaye

8. NubianSoaps.com

You ease the doe during the time she is drying, you don't dry cow until they are dry. Yes I teat dip after easing.

This year just don't milk them all the way out, they can only dry off from pressure in the udder signaling them not to produce more milk. You in essence are just making does who fill their udder every other day, then every 3 days...at some point that udder has to remain full and unmilked (we ease so they never leak). You can't get mastitis at the dry period unless you are allowing them to leak or they self nurse. Vicki

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

How do you define dry then...wait until their udders shrivel up and then dry treat? Leave the full udder for a while...then milk it out and dry treat? I have heard of so many different methods...I'm willing to try yours. Obviously you have more experience than I do and if it works for you....maybe the teat dipping is where I went wrong. And one of the does is a leaker as well as CAE pos., I know that contributes. The case last year was yearling, and she was drytreated but lost 1/2 her udder to the nastiest case of mastitis I've had. I don't remember if she had leaky teats or not, I had to cull her.

10. NubianSoaps.com

OK, I want to dry up a doe in December. I will start milking once a day in November. Come middle of the month I will stop letting her in the milkroom, which means no grain. I will go out to the pen twice a day and I take the flat of my hand and hold it between the teats and lift up, if the udder is firm and not hard I don't do anything, if the udder is more than firm (no texture to it) than I will clip her to the fence or barn, and very uncerimoniously ease out enough milk evenly out of each side until she is no longer firm...be it 1 cup or 3. I keep the teat dip sprayer in my back pocket, she doesn't get off the clip for about 5 minutes. I write this down on the dry erase board since I am drying everyone up at the same time. When I note that I haven't had to ease someone for a week, I will put her on the milkstand, no grain, milk her out and infuse her. When the herd was large I only infused does who I had a problem with in the passed, any problem with the udder including staph dermatitis. Now I infuse everyone, I get Pirsue when I can (couldn't get it last year) and when I can't I use Tommorrow with 2cc of gentamycin in it.

If a doe has a long dry period, always dry cow them, then when 100 days pregnant redo it. Make sure they stand for awhile and always teat dip. Vicki