Anyone milked a Boer/Nubian cross?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Aug 10, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

We are getting rid of all of our Boer goats to concentrate on only the dairy goats. We have one sweet yearling girl, Lil Bit, that has become my kids' favorite goat. How will she milk? I have been told her milk will be very creamy, but about how much can I expect? I know it is highly variable but does anyone have a general idea?

Thanks,
    Tiffany

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Boers have high butterfat. How much milk you get will vary from goat to goat and will also depend on the percentage of Nubian she is. My friend used to run does who were 50% Nubian or other dairy breed in her commercial dairy to increase butterfat. I used to milk a Boer/La Mancha. She gave probably 3 quarts a day and had a somewhat shorter lactation period than a full dairy doe. I also had a Nubie/Boer who I milked out some when she first kidded, but I don't know how much she made as I left the kid on her. The biggest issue I had with running Boer cross with my dairy does is that they tended to get fat when managed like a dairy goat. Kathie

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I milked a Boer doe this year for awhile and had a LaMancha/Nubian/Boer doe in my milkstring for several years. Boers give creamy milk, just not as much and for not as long.

4. kelebek

kelebek Guest

I have a 75% Boer / 25% Saanan that freshened a doeling on the 4th of AUgust ( a week ago). Anyway, she milked out colostrum great for me - and now I can't get a thing out of her. Either baby is taking everything or she is not producing much at all.

Her mother 50/50 ratio should freshen anytime and I will see how she does.

I have an Alpine, with a hint of Boer and Nubian - and she is giving me 1/2 gallon a day from 1 teat and she freshened in early May.

5. Rose

Rose New Member

Are you penning the babies for either the nights or days and milking after they've been apart?

6. kelebek

kelebek Guest

The Nigerian and the Alpine do not have a kid on them. The Boer doe has a single, but no I am not seperating as she is only a week and a half old - and I am not in need of her milk at this time. Her doeling nurses off of both teats and I am wondering if she is not quite getting all that she needs, as I personally have never seen a kid nurse from both sides (but at least her udder is symetrical!)

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

You should be able to tell if she is getting enough by looking at her. Is she growing good? Have a nice round belly? Does she seem to always be nursing? That's another sign. I would not assume she is not getting enough simply because she nurses both sides. My one dam-raised kid this spring did the same.

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I have a boer/nubian cross doe, she has always wanted to be a milker doe since she was a kid doeling so I let her get on the stand and she was like a pro ,she didnt kick or nothing ,I just milked her out with the milker while she ate her grain :D, I wished all newcomer doe's to the milkstand was that easy but Sally is very spoiled and I think she wanted the cookies as now she waits at the gate for them when I put my milk girls back in from milking , however Sally has more mik and milks longer than some of my other crosses and I bet it's because of the nubian in her as she still has some milk for her march kids as they are still sucking some . To me it depends on what breed the cross is with and depends upon how much dairy was in their dam as to how much "will " ,the doe will have to be a milker .

9. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

I freshened 2 Nubian/Boer does this spring. They trained quickly to the milkstand, and although they were difficult to milk at first (long pencil-thin teats), they ended up being fairly good milkers. I sold them to a friend of mine, she is still milking them once a day and is getting about 1 1/2 quarts from each per day.