Anyone have experience with Ramm dehorner?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by shawhee, Dec 16, 2008.

1. shawhee

shawhee Member

I was looking for a Rhinehart X-50 - price comparing. And I ran across this one, I had not seen it before or heard of it so wondered what you experienced people thought about it?

http://www.rammfg.biz/prod_dh.htm

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I haven't used or seen the bronze goat dehorner. My friend has one that looks like the one in the upper left hand corner with the loop. I'm not sure if the brand is Ramm, but that's what it looks like. She uses it on kids who she procrastinated doing until they started to get little horns or on Swiss breed bucklings. It works really well at getting the entire horn bud on those larger kids. Other than that, we prefer the Rhinehart dehorner. Kathie

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Super cool! This may be something new I will have, I am not a new kind of gal, prefer my old retrofitted Rhinehart 50, but the price is really good. My husband attaches a 3/4 inch inside diameter fitting to the tip that comes on the 50 that is way to small for goats. Looks like this one comes with both a 3/4 inch ID and 1 inch ID which would be great for older kids. Vicki

4. shawhee

shawhee Member

That was exactly what I was thinking Vicki. Little better on price and smaller so may not need to retro it. Which one would you pick? I have LaManchas - not sure that it matters? But I was thinking of ordering one.

5. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I can't get the link to work.

6. shawhee

shawhee Member

7. shawhee

shawhee Member

Well I guess I will have to try it out later.... I just won a Rhinehart X50A on ebay .... Now I need a tip. Yeah!

8. NubianSoaps.com

I would get the first ones with the 3/4 inch ID tip. The only draw back I can see is that it doesn't have the solid big piece on it that the Rhinehart 50 does so after you are through burning the root all the way around you can't then lay it flat and burn the whole middle...they actually have the burner, the last one, that does that.

Shawna, just get your self a 3/4 inch ID threaded water pipe coupler, brass is fine...or a bushing. After you use it a couple of times it will
    'weld' itself to the tip that is on the Rhinehart 50. Make sure inside the head, the little lever is on D of dehorning and not S for Solder. Vicki

9. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I thought about getting this also as the price was right too, as my vet has 1 and she uses it on goats and calves. I chickened out and got the RhinehartX50 also with tips to go with it...
    Kathy

10. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

What about the "goat" one, is 5/8 inch okay? Loving the price on this.

Paula

11. NubianSoaps.com

OK...being the math challenged person I am, how much smaller is 5/8ths than 3/4ths? Too much smaller and you are right back to the whole problem with the rhinehart 50 tip, it has a to small of an inside diameter to kill all of the root in your Nubian kids, especially the bucks. It has nothing to do with the size of the kid at birth, or how big the cap is, it's the outside diameter of that hornbud that has to be killed. 3/4ths will do it. Vicki

12. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

3/4ths is the same as 6/8ths. So the difference between the two is 1/8th. Don't know if that makes enough of a difference or not.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep you need the 3/4 size an 1/8 in when talking circum. makes a difference. I have a lynx or some such thing and retrofitted it with a 3/4 ID bushing.

14. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member