Anyone ever made an udder type salve?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by FourMileFarm, Jan 3, 2009.

1. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

I am going to make an udder salve, but it will also be good for cuts, scrapes, wounds, etc as well as mastitis or just a congested newly freshened udder.

Has anyone ever done this? I've spent all week researching, and I have ordered my ingredients that I didnt already have.

I've got dried herbs infusing in oil...

And I cant wait to finish the project! ;)

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep I have just mixed mint and tea tree oil in shea with a little oil

3. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Cool!
    Did it work well? Were you happy with it?
    Was it easy to use?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I just mix a small jar at a time and it worked great on a congested udder along with warm compresses Nice on the hands too.

5. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Thanks Sondra!

I don't have any goats with problems right now, but I want to have it on hand just in case since they all start kidding late this month.
    Do you find that it goes bad after a while? I ordered some Vit E to add to it to try to avoid that problem....

On another note - for the first time in YEARS my fingers havent cracked in the winter! I have been using goat milk soap for years of course, but the only thing I am doing differently is using the lotion bars! Yippee!

Rachel

6. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Yes, I use my whipped shea and body butter on my goats udders, like Sondra I add a little peppermint and tea tree to them. they make the udders smooth and soft and your hands..
    If you show your goats, after shaving the udders try it.. makes it very smooth and soft to the touch.. and helps the does with any razor burns etc..
    Barbara

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

No it doesn't go bad but I just mix a sm jar for the goats at a time.

8. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

Thanks for this! Im now making my own.

9. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

Thanks for the ingredient info.!! We are going to make some of this for our goats too!! :D

Christina

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also don't forget to use your coconut oil etc....after shaving for shows, makes the udder skin soft and supple.

I am a huge fan of comfrey for udders it also makes your salve do double duty for scratches etc.. vicki

11. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

I am definitely using comfrey in my salve!
    I have a large supply of it on hand since my daughter broke her arm. ;) She has healed up so fast - the dr is amazed.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Comfrey also called bone heal I think wonderful stuff.

13. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Comfrey is a god send to say the least. I haven't found an herb that works as well on scratches or even big wounds(or burns). The big Aloe era taught me that yes it works but it takes longer to heal than comfrey. LOVE MY COMFREY! I'll have to try it in shea. Tammy

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Shea and aloe and comfrey. They have shea/aloe that keeps the shea liquid, which is lovely also. Vicki