Anyone ever feed oat hay?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Jul 22, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

Will goats eat it? All of it or just the oat seeds? It seems really stemmy to me other than the nice liottle bits of oats on it.
    I thought I read something about it not keeping it's nutritional value?

my neighbor has some for sale--

thanks!

susie

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I did one year, it was mostly oats, little bit of alfalfa and grass. They loved picking out the oats but wasted most of it.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, I did one time at a show. Well, actually the does were hanging over the fence to steal it from another breeder! :blush And they had top quality alfalfa in their dang feeders!

I'm going back to that show next week and have made room in my trailer for about 20 bales...just in case it's there! They absolutely loved it...and I did buy the breeder two more bales to replace what my does were stealing. :sigh
    Kaye

4. susie

susie New Member

Kaye--
    did your goats eat the stems too?
    maybe I'll buy a bale and see--

thanks--
    susie

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

We grow our own oat hay and the goats LOVE it! They clean everything up completely... the stems and all.

Sara

6. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Sara, at what stage do you bale your oat hay at boot stage or before? I'm planning on growing some this winter with rye and clover for our goats but just wonder if I can get away with the combination due to the different maturation times.

Thanks,
    Ray

7. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Do you know what kind of oat hay it was? Back when I had horses my horses would like some kinds of oats but not others. They hated the bales that were kind of green, well they would eat the oats then get the poops but leave the stems. They liked the red oats I think it was called and also the oats that were a golden color. I don't have much to choose from here but I'm going to take a short trip soon and will look for other hay.
    Thanks.

8. susie

susie New Member

should oat hay have small hard oat kernels in it, or does this mean that it was harvested too late? The stems are like straw but sifter-- same color and thickness as straw.

thanks!

9. coso

coso Guest

It should be cut in the milk stage before the kernels get hard to get your optimum protein out of it. If you cut it too late your protein levels go down and your hay is stemmy. Basically you have straw.

10. susie

susie New Member

well I think this hay is past it's prime them-- Thanks!

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The hay that mine "stole" was green colored. It was definately dry and had a few heads in it but not many. They ate stems and all.

Waiting on Sara to reply??? Since she actually does her own.
    Kaye