Any Thoughts???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by J-Basqo, Nov 1, 2008.

1. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

I have a 3 year old Nubian doe that I am having a really hard time getting bred this fall. I *thought* I saw a heat cycle in July (small ammt of discharge) but have seen NOTHING since then.. She has been in with a buck most of the time since August (july was just TOO soon to breed) and we went ahead and did blood work beginning of Oct on her just in case I missed something. Came back not pregnant. Hubby gave her lute the 21st of Oct (as I am preg and wont touch the stuff), NOTHING, so thinking maybe he didnt quite get it IM, my goat friend down the road came up and gave her another lute inj Oct 28. Still nothing.. Is this normal? I was under the impression that since Lute was a hormone it would make the goats body do "something" even if it wasnt a fertile heat cycle. She has freshened 2 (maybe 3 but I have only had her a year so I am not sure) years now and I luted her this spring to induce labor and all went well. No uterine infections or problems over the summer. She is one of those fine boned heavy milkers that is hard to keep weight on so she is on the slender side but not "too skinny" so we were wondering if that might affect heat cycles (although she has more weight on her now than she did in July), she also wasnt bred until December last year (by choice) so I didnt know if maybe that is her body's "rutine"?? I dont know. Any thoughts welcomed. I myself am due in May and really needed the goats to kid well before then or they are waiting until summer/fall. I only have 1 doe possibly bred and my window is about closed to get the girls bred, and that is stressing me out cause I need more milk than just one doe before next fall!!
    Thanks for your imput!
    Patina

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have 1 that seems to only have hers in Feb, and this is her 3 yr and she is due again in Feb. Other than that she just dont seem to come into heat that much and is stubborn also, She wants what she wants and if its not the buck she wants she will come back in in a few weeks. I really have to watch her closely.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

She has been in with the buck this whole time, yet you have luted her twice? How do you know she wasn't bred after the first lute, then with the second lute you aborted her?

When you use lute you have to understand that although it can bring her into heat, it does not guarantee ovulation. Your back where you started with a doe that you have no idea if she is bred or not. Wait 26 days out of the pen with the buck and biotracking.com her again. Then if she is still unbred, look up the info on CIDR's, or think about giving her lute twice and then going in with the buck with a shot of cysterellon as she is bred etc...tons of stuff in the search on this and in goatkeeping 101.

Also are you sure this isn't the bucks fault? Did you blood test the other doe you think is bred to make sure she is? vicki

4. maybelle farm

maybelle farm Guest

I would do a semen test on the buck. how many does is he servicing this year? sometimes if he is servicing more bucks than his scrotum circumference than he wont be as fertile.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Can you explain?

Sara

6. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

The problem is the doe has shown NO sights of heat, period. No discharge, no mounting, no talking and the buck hasnt even been interested in her and I have seen no signs of him breeding her, no pink skin, no crusts, NOTHING!
    Even after lute.. I am aware it doesnt necessarily cause a fertile heat cycle but my impression was that it would cause something to happen with her body. We also only luted 7 days apart which isnt really enough time to worry about aborting a whole lot and the first one was given directly after a neg preg test and she hadnt been in with the buck in between the blood draw and the lute shot (I am not silly enough to cancel a pregnancy!). The buck serviced does last year and has covered maybe 12 this year but not all at once (he is 1 1/2yo), it has been over the course of a month or two. I am leasing him, he lives down the road, but when he is at my house there is only 2 does in with him. I am not concerned about the bucks fertility I am curious about the doe since she seem to be the one not cycling. The other doe that was in with them has cycled and been bred and we will have her preg test back next week.
    THanks!
    Patina

7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Well if he is servicing bucks, then that's your problem. ;)