Any more babies

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Carolyn, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

The doe we bought in Feb was bred--we had no idea when she was due. we have been checking ligaments, but not much was happening, Then tonite when DS and family came out, DS ran out to check and he and DGS 1 found a little doe--we figured she was about 15 minute to 1/2 old--hadn't sucked yet. Dam cleaned from this birth , but is still rather round. Her first 2 times she kidded, she had twins however--she got into the bucks pen by mistake and was rebred--- so she is a 2 yr old and this is her 3rd kidding (I know, a lot for her) should we be looking for another baby? Doe is up and eating and drinking, milked a qt and a cup of colustrom (sp?). She hasn't been straining--although she has squatted a couple of times. Think this is it? We will be watching her through the night. Also we were going to give her the CDT in the morning, cause we figured we had close to 2 weeks yet, so do we give baby CDT now or wait until she is 21 days old? I know BAD GOAT MAMA--which leads me to ask--this time when I got goats, I knew when they were due, cause i watched dates and watched the does to make sure they didn't go into heat again. but can you give the CDT to the doe to early to be effective? Think that the dam is done? Thanks--Carolyn

2. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Congrats! A doeling too! Can you "bounce" her belly and see if there is anything else in there? I think it is too soon to give the baby CD&T, but maybe someone wiser can give a more definitive answer. Pics please.

Anne

3. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Thanks---In the past, if we had multible births, they were born 1-2-3 or even- 4 a couple of times, I think that she should be done. HMM I willhave the girls try to "bounce" her to check, I have been kinda thinking she woudl go, but surprised cause there were no signs at all. Will get pictures tomorrow. Carolyn

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Best way to know is "go fishing", stick your hand in and feel. I do "bump" the does but if you don't know what you are doing it's not accurate...not really 100% accurate even if you do and it only works right away when they are kidding, before the muscles/ligaments tighten back up. I do it just for the heck of it, but I double-check with a pelvic exam.

5. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Congratulations Carolyn! I too have a doe bred and don't know when she's due. I gave her her cdt at the earliest possible due date, and now it's a month and a half later, and she's still not kidding, so the 1st shot (2.5) mo.'s ago is outdated, but I don't know if I should give her another now or not. She doesn't even look EXCEPTIONALLY Pregnant. Frustrating! I'm interested to know also if you should give the baby a cdt right now, but I bet the answer will be 21 days. I think they're too young at birth.........but I'm not sure.
    Tracy

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If the doe is update on cd/t NO you don't give babies until older.

7. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Only 1 little girl--we didn't give CDT yet cause we were waiting for this doe---I don't know if she had the CDT before her Dec 31 kidding. I will check----we will be giving shots as they need them next year--- I guess when we vacinated my brothers sheep, we had one day and did the entire bunch--- but we did 75 -125 at a time. Thanks Carolyn