Any easy way to strain kefir?

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Agape Oaks, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I've tried several ways & none are wonderful. I use a wide mouthed glass jar for my kefir. I've tried using a slotted spoon- takes forever, tried a strainer- got all over the counter....& the grains clogged the holes so it took forever. Most recently I'm using the netting stuff from the fabric store, in a large funnel. Seems there must be an easier way!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use a big plastic strainer with no problems but I put it on top of my 2 gal bucket. Chisty uses some sort of fish strainer.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

4. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

OK- I do have my milk bucket that I guess I could strain into & then just pour into a glass jar......will try that out tonight

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I got my idea for a strainer from Christy... a green fish net. They can be found in the pet department at Wal-Mart for really cheap and it works great!

Sara

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I use bridal netting. I keep my kefir grains inside a bundle of the netting, and hang it in the milk. This way I just lift it out, I can even rinse him off if I need to. No more freaking straining....

In a larger jar, I sort of swish him around to get some of the thicker stuff off the outside of the netting before putting him in fresh milk. I use a clean jar each time I move him, just cap the old one and refridgerate to use. Vicki

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH now I like that. Off to the store tomarrow to get some other sewing stuff so will get me some.

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

That's what I was using.....just didn't seem to work as well- the kefir wasn't as thick. I'm not sure why.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

got me some Vicki net today so will give it a try.

10. NubianSoaps.com

The holes in the bridal veil material are big enough to let milk in and kefir nastyness out. Course I use mine up with my smoothy and feeding the rest to my dogs, so mine really doesn't have a chance to get really thick anyway. Vicki

11. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I had mine contained in a mesh tea strainer a few years ago. It never got very thick that way but it was easy because I didn't have to mess with straining. I think if you want it really thick, it works better to have the grains free in the milk.

Christy

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Will let you know how this net works for me this week

13. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I put my strainer on top of a large pan and pour it thru. Sometimes I have to move it around with my hand but no biggie.

Patty

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just to let you know my Kefir came out nice and thick using Vicki's netting.

15. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Great! I have some netting that I can use :) That will be much quicker that straining.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

now I probably had 1 cup kefir in 1/2 gal milk but was quick just over night out and in frig couple days.

17. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

OK- how did you do it? I used the netting like ballerinas use, put the kefir in it & tied it closed, then put it in the milk. did/t get thick

18. NubianSoaps.com

My netting is the same size as the jar just taller. I pull it out of the milk it was in, let it drip good, then put it into the new jar, with the top open. I pour the new milk in with the kefir, the netting is lining the jar, touching the glass. When you want to strain them out, pull it together and up, I let it drip while I make my smoothy. And go on. I do end up having to use a new netting eventually but still haven't gone through my 1 yard I purchased. I rinse out the old netting unless it's really thick. Then it grosses me out and I throw it away. I need to make my smoothy in the evening, the whole beer milk thing makes me gag! Vicki

19. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I use the green fishnet like you would get at a pet shop or pet dept. at wally world. A new one of course. It fits the top of a gallon jar perfectly.