Any advice for traveling goats??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Good Goats, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

We'll be moving from Southern California to Eastern Oklahoma in the end of August. I was wondering if anyone has any info or tips they'd like to give me for traveling goats. Thanks!
    Suriyah

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Keep plenty of water available...it's likely to be a pretty hot trip. Also don't feed grain before leaving. I would offer just grass hay on the trip, and then slowly start again once they settle in.

3. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Well, I forgot to add - I'll have 11 does in milk. Soo, just stop giving them grain even though they are milking?? The youngest kids will probably be 5 1/2 months old.

4. Truly

Truly New Member

When I moved from CA to WY, I sold my goats and started over fresh.

Are you sure you want to haul that many goats that far? Could you wean down to just a few? maybe you already have?

This will surely be an experience.

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I mean to skip a couple feedings, not completely stop and start over. When you get there, start with 1/4 ration and go up. Even with milking does...traveling and grain can cause bloat/enterotoxemia. IMO anyway. I know there are people who have traveled that far to get to a show...I personally wouldn't see it as a reason to sell out and start over.

6. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

We're cutting down some, especially like some big goats (well, we were already selling some of them anyway). But, when it comes the time, we'll probably have about 25 total (about 5 or 6 young ones, and the rest adults).
    Thanks for the info Beth.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would travel in the cool of the night and take a northern route, dont' even think of driving in acorss 10 in Texas! I would keep everyone on the same schedule and feed they are on now, stopping twice a day for milking, and maybe a noon break in a shady place for a walk on leashes. IF you can set it up to stop at fairgounds like horse folks do, that would be better. Make sure you have adequate insulation on their feet, and although you don't want wind or rain blowing on them, their has to be good ventilation.

You might also want to think about starting the herd on vaccinations now for pasteurella and using feed through or shots of tetracycline during and after the trip.

Your girls will have little immunity to the huge amounts of worms and cocci problems brought on from the humidity. Spend some time reading on your new management practices from us in the humid south. You are going to be shocked in the very poor quality alfalfa hay you will buy and pay mega bucks for :) Vicki

8. Rose

Rose New Member

We bring our small herd from Missouri to Texas for the winter, then back to Missouri for the summer. I just bought a better trailer for traveling, with good ventilation, a way to separate a few of them, etc. I'm going to move the trailer into the goat yard tomorrow, so they will be familiar with it.

They will have a deep bed of straw/hay, we'll stop for water breaks and snacks (probably hay and oak browse, which is their favorite.)

The weather is so goofy right now that it is 80 degrees here and down to 30 at night in Missouri still. Makes it hard to pick a travel day. I'm thinking of leaving about midnight so our trip will be done before the heat of the day.

Luckily, where we are going, the adult does have lived before, so they will be going "home" instead of some place strange.

9. Rose

Rose New Member

OOPS, forgot to say I'll be doing a fecal to check for worm load, double checking vaccinations, etc., too, before going.

Also got some herbal travel meds for my goofy Nubian.

10. ellie

ellie New Member

One of the nicest things you can do for your goats for a long trip is put down those heavy rubber mats under all the bedding. The difference in the vibratins and stress on legs/pasterns is huge. It also cuts down a little on road noise. Less stress, healthier goats.

Good luck!

Ellie

11. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I met a girl who traveled across the country to Nationals. She planned out her trip knowing exactly where she would stop everyday to milk. She said she found everything she needed on the Internet.

Jolene

12. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Thanks everyone for all the info!!

Vicki, alfalfa is more expensive out there?? I knew it was hard to come by out there, but it is almost $15 a bale here.

13. buckrun

buckrun New Member

The alfalfa in this area ( we are right next to the Oklahoma border in SW AR) is terrible.
    The ground and the air are both far to wet to produce a nice product. When it is cut it is difficult to dry properly. When we arrived from CA after perfect alfalfa and great rolled barley it was very hard to find something worth feeding. You will not want to feed the alfalfa unless we have more drought years- which is NOT happening this year for sure. I had trouble with mold in the alfalfa we got locally. We mulched the garden with it! We searched to find someone doing horse quality single species improved Bermuda that has been protein tested and it is the best thing you can do in this area. I hope you can find a reputable grower that does it for a living. We see many who cuts whatever grows up in their acerage and call it hay. You will be amazed what they call hay in this part of the world. Most of the people who sell good hay advertise as horse hay- meaning no broad leaf weeds and protein tested.

Hope you all travel well- August is a hard time on everyone even without travel.
    Welcome to the neighborhood!
    Lee

14. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Thanks for the info, Lee! I have been doing hay research for that part of the country and I have not been able to find alfalfa for hardly at all. . . mostly grass hays. What about alfalfa pellets? Is that what you feed since good alfalfa is not available? Are the pellets hard to find also?
    Thanks,
    Suriyah

15. Rose

Rose New Member

We were able to find mixed alfalfa/grass in southern Missouri. No alfalfa here in South Texas at all.

Hubby brought a truckload in from Arizona. :help

16. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Yes we do pellets-All the feed stores have alfalfa pellets but there are different qualites of that as well. With Vicki's ration recommendation of 3 pounds each evening they do fine on GOOD grass hay.

Once you get established with a feed store or mill they will order for you since you will be buying alot so if you have a product in mind- say like a higher percentage protein then ask for it! The problem will be that alfalfa is going up since some plots have been taken out of production to grow corn and other palletized rations are using more of it as well.
    Lots of reformulating going on with the scramble for grains to work with.

During the 2 years of drought when we could not get any local grass hay people trucked in South Dakota and New Mexico alfalfa hay and WHAT A TREAT! The only problem for us was it was in cotton bales and wheweeeee what a job working with those suckers. We had to build new feeders as well to accomodate the flake size of a bale that big but the gals loved it and looked great and milked the best ever with that to munch on non stop.

Maybe you can find a group to work up an order and split the trucking cost.
    Far NW Oklahoma is dryer and has good grass hay.
    Lee

17. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Thanks for the info! We're moving to eastern OK.

18. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Congratulations on your move to OK and happy green pastures to you neighbor ;).

I can only think of good good ventilation and deep straw .....