Another Tetanus Antitoxin Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tjgoatgirl, Jun 27, 2008.

1. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Hi. I was wondering if any of you all revaccinate w/ CDT series after giving a tetanus shot for any kind of procedure. My vet gave my little buckling (now wether) a tetanus before surgically castrating him:

This is a excerpt from Onion Creek website. I knew I read this somewhere, but couldn't remember where. I just finally found it. 2 Vets in my area have told me it's not necessary to revaccinate w/ cdt after a tetanus shot for castration.

Tetanus Antitoxin - Over-the-counter product for immediate and short-term protection against tetanus (lockjaw). Tetanus is fatal if not promptly treated. Comes in single-dose vials; use the entire vial IM for adults; cut it back proportionately for kids. No sooner than five days after this medication is last used, the producer will have to re-vaccinate with tetanus toxoid or CD/T (the complete two-injection series given 30 days apart) to reinstate long-term protection. Keep refrigerated

Opinions?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Both are correct. Onion Creek is telling you management that works for them...just like what we do here. Your vets are telling you what they have learned.

Do you know the folks at Onion Creek and you have cruised their website or know their reputation. It's really the only way of deserning between fact and fiction.

I would not have given the antitoxin if my kid was castrated out of a vaccinated dam. So I wouldn't be redoing vaccinations. Plus a buckling that was castrated young is too young for any toxoids anyway. So use the antitoxin at castration or disbudding etc...then start his CD&T vaccination series, which I do by the directions on the bottle, 21 days.

Yes in a wound on an older goat, I would give antitoxin for prevention but I would not redo her tetanus toxoid unless she was not from here and had a checkered vaccinations history. Vicki

3. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Thank you Vicki! I don't know Onion Creek, but their website sounds very credible and thorough. However, one answer from you is all I need. I have chosen to trust the most in what the forum says. That's why I asked. :D :biggrin
    Tracy

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

We had that discussion on here at DGI and believe it was Kaye that said yes as it is only good for 10 days and because the tetanus antitoxin makes the CD/T unrealiable now so you have to redo the series of CD/T pm Kaye to make sure or do a search here. but this is what I would do.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Maybe in an adult....ok how old is this kid anyway:) I am answering you in the vein that he is an infant that got castrated...has he even had his CD&T shots before being castrated? Vicki

6. tjgoatgirl

tjgoatgirl New Member

Yes, he was a 3 mo. old buckling. He was going to be my buck, but after so much Coccidia this year and management issues, we decided to wether him and keep him as a pet because he's sweet and bottle-fed, and darling.......but I"m not going to be breeding a whole bunch (actually thinking about not breeding at all) and I already had one adult buck.

He had Covexin 8 (I know some of you don't like this, but it's just what I started out with before I joined the forum and still had some left) So anyway he had 30, 60 and 90 day shots as that's how the vet instructed me to give.

Then at like 3 months, 1 week old the vet gave him a tetanus before castrating.