another mastitis question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by toomb, May 12, 2008.

1. toomb

toomb New Member

i know there is a lot of info out there. this is my first experience with it. i think my doe may have mastitis on one side. he other day a small clump came out while milking....today when i first started, a clump come out with what looks like small blood flecks. no other symptoms. can i get testing ...like cmt at tractor supply? do i wait to send a culture or begin treatment now. can i use over the counter or precription meds...i don't have a well established relationship with the vet. i just have no experience with this and am unsure of how to proceed. thanks. chris

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I know you need to continue to milk that bad side out all the way. do it at least 3 times a day and keep it up till you dont see the clumps. Also milk it into a different bucket and feed it to the chickens or dogs of something. The babies drink it but.... Some say if you do this it will clear the infection and maybe you will get lucky and not have to use antibiotics. Good Luck
    Kathy

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Mastitis is mast or breast and itis is inflammation of. Now clumps and a little blood my signal to you that you may have mastitis coming on, but it isn't mastitis. Mastitis is a hard hot udder with the nastiest milk you have ever seen coming out of it, or blood and no milk, or grey dead old milk, and a doe who is ill. Fever, can't walk or won't walk because her udder is so painful when it rubs on her sides. OK there is of course degrees of all of the above. But unless you are there, you have time to test the milk. And keeping her empty 3 times a day instead of 2 while you wait for the test to come back.

CMT is a screening only. If you run CMT on all your does the first Monday of the month, like I do. You will find that one of your does gels, but not to jello all the time. One of your does only has gel at the end of lactation, and that another one of your does never gels ever. So if you keep this info written down, and a doe who never gells, gells, or a do who gells goes to jello and honestly by the time you see this on CMT you can already see this in the doe herself, her temp or the off color of her milk. CMT is not a diagnostic tool like you think.

I would milk her...send in a test if you like. Vicki

4. toomb

toomb New Member

thank you for the replies. i called the vet.....i was nervous. the vet came out took a sample to test. she was not overly impressed. we'll see what happens....chris

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Chis next time send your milk to be tested to LA University addy is in Goat 101

6. toomb

toomb New Member

vet tested....everything was negative. everything is back to normal......maybe she had a minor injury. thanks all for your help. chris :)

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

AH that is good news. Thanks for the update