Another issue...or problem however you want to put it ;)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trnubian, Sep 22, 2008.

1. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Wiski, being a goat, found some trouble. We use a bungee cord to keep pur goat gate shut. (I know I should know better but it seems to be the only thing they will leave alone, until now that is.) She was evidently chewing on the plastic covered hook and she got it stuck. It's hard to explain how but it's like if you slid the hook part into the side of your mouth and tried to pulled your mouth would pull back in a smile.
    Anyway, I found her with it in her mouth about 4 days ago in the morning. I pulled it out (no resistance). She has already swelled up on the side of her mouth and under her jaw.
    I started her on Pennicillan and banamine for the last 4 days. Today was her last banamine shot. I will continue with the pennicillan though for about 4 more days. Tonight I went out and gave her a shot and I noticed that the swelling had ruptured and it smells like something died, rotting flesh. I know it's good that it busted, maybe it will drain now. It is still fairly large in size though. Is there anything else I can do to speed healing and take the swelling down? She eats very well se is UTD on her CD&T and everything else seems fine.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

is this on the inside of her mouth or outside?? if outside see if you can flush it out with peroxide

3. trnubian

trnubian New Member

It is on the outside where it ruptured. So I can just squirt some peroxide in it with a syringe? How often should I do that?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Now that the abscess that formed has burst, the swelling will go down, she will feel better and it will heal. I would syringe it out at least 3 times a day, so that it heals from the inside out and doesn't heal over and leave bacteria in the inside. If you can clean it with chlorhexideen or something else that kills staph first then syringe it out good. You are doing this to keep it open so for as long as you can keep it open do it, it will eventually heal up then leave it alone. Use a syringe filled with the peroxide so you have some force to the stream. Same way you clean out a lanced abscess...my sis gets them on her back. vicki

5. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Ok... will do Thanks!