Another doe aborting PIC

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Yesterday, I posted the thread about Spice and her wet tail with the pics.

Today, her twin sister, Sugar, has a wet tail and when I wiped some on my finger and sniffed it, it smelled like birth fluid.

Sugar is a 3 yr. old 3rd freshener, due in 5 weeks.

Twin doelings last year with assit, previous year, one doeling.

She has had a cold, snot, coughing, no temp as of last week, haven't taken it today or this week. Like her sis, she has had benedryl and ivermectin 2 weeks ago(I forgot to put that in the other thread...but Spice has had a cold too.)

She is still big and round but she is even when not pregnant. Her vulva is not puffy like Spice was.

[​IMG]

2. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Diane,
    You mentioned on the the other post that the does had Bo-Se, when did they get they Bo-Se shots? It does say on the bottle that it can cause abortions in pregnant ewes and I have always questioned the use in pregnant does, although we did ours this year.
    We feed a tetracyline crumble in late gestation to prevent abortions, we feed 1/4 oz. per head per day of a Chlortetracyline 4g crumble, since we had an abortion problem in our sheep herd several years ago and have had no problems since. I know there are some who give it in an injectable also.
    Tim

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

This doe got BoSe pre-breeding and then on January 5 she got BoSe, benadryl and ivermectin horse paste.

There has been a cold or something in my herd and rather than micro manage, I have tried to watch them as a whole and let it run it's course. This doe however, kept the snots and wet cough longer. She has not had fever but i will take it again today (I pulled my back this morning and after ibuprophen kicks in I will go take it). I was afraid if I started freaking out about every little sniffle and started treating with antibiotics, I may make things worse, plus there is the expense. so here I am, having trouble now.

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Oh, and these does were copper bolused the end of October. previous to that, bolused in March.

I over-bolused for their weight rather than under-bulused because of all the problems my goats have had with deficiency, plus the way the boluses are sized, I couldn't get it exact so went over. Could I have been too heavy handed? I'm trying to think of everything.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also because selenium injections don't last very long in the system I give my shots prekidding abou a week before they are due, this way if abortion with the amount I use is a problem like in sheep, they aren't aborting just kidding a little early with viable kids. I also was never comfortable with giving bo-se 3 weeks before kidding with my CD&T...

Although my herd would be on tetracycline tommorrow if this happened, I would also do a nasal swab and a vaginal swab on this doe and see if I am dealing with chlamydia or? So I could better treat the problem.

Did the buck you use on the first doe, also breed the 2nd? He should be treated also since he is passing this from doe to doe. You can expect for his next doe he bred to abort also if this is going to be a storm. Vicki

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Thanks.

These were bred to Kelton, same as last year and he has bred no new does this year. There are 2 more does bred to him and they are due mid-Feb.

7. NubianSoaps.com

And he bred no outside does, and all the does he bred before these does kidded fine last year? Did you have pinkeye this summer? Vicki

8. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

No pink-eye...I sent you a PM.

9. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Oh, and is goat chlamydia contagious to other species...like human?

And 100% successful kidding last year, no abortions, no dead kids, lots of triplets, it was a great year.

10. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Ok...

I looked in my fridge and lo and behold DIANE has a new unopened bottle of LA-200.

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Goat 101 say LA200 can be given two different ways:

(A) 4.5cc/100lbs SQ every 36 hours

or

(B) 3cc/100lbs every day

If second rate is given, for how many days?

And should I give this to all my goats in addition to CTC feed? (chlora Tetra Cycline)

I was am forumlating a plan.

12. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Is there anything you can find in common with the other Texas case and facial deformities? Just kind seems odd.

Patty

13. NubianSoaps.com

I would give the does who have not aborted yet, at least 3 days of shots...3.5cc per 100 pounds subq while getting their bloodlevel up on the feed through. Hopefully this will stave off the next several from aborting. I don't agree at all with the 36 hour long acting idea they are not cows. Vicki

14. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Ok, I just came in from giving LA200 SQ at the rate of 3cc/100lbs thinking I would give it for as many days as needed.

I guestimated their weights and the full-sized LM got 4.5 cc each. One MM got 2cc...at first i thought the MM was croaking as she layed down and her eyes dialated, but she was fine. Five minutes later she was running around silly. I had forgot my epi and figured i was gonna lose her but it was just pain i guess. None of the does even flinched though.

I was proud of Agnes, my black doe. She is a 2 yr. old FF and has never been on the milkstand and jumped up there like an old pro with no hesitation. I rubbed her udder and she squatted over the invisible pail. Unreal.

I'll get the remaining 6 does/doelings tonight if possible...I have 12 does/doelings total to treat plus 3 affected bucks/wether.

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Diane you fed alot of hand cut out side browse this year which was totally different than any other year. Really hate to throw this in the pile but it is a possibility something there didn't work right. even a weed of sorts mixed in.

16. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Just 2 species in all these last few months, Sondra. Yaupon Holly, which has been a staple for years and is a good deer forage...and recently cedar which i am beginning to worry about..alot. They have not had cedar in their lives til this January. I have to walk out to the woods, 1/2 mile, to get it and cut as much as i can wrap in a rope and carry on my back. I make that last for 2 days for all these goats, 17 of them so I don't know if that's too much. They have not had cedar this week. I did some googling on cedar and all I could find bad about it was that if goats were being used to clear woods of cedar, then they may not do well if that was all the food they really got.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

didn't you cut and feed that partrige pea?? that is where I was thinking maybe some weeds could have gotten in. I feed cedar from time to time and have never had a problem
    Now there is a pine that is said to cause abortions but don't know can remember which one.

18. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

partridge pea has been gone for quite awhile.